Thanks to my delinquent friends

Alice POV

Asher had been right: I did get a minor case of food poisoning from that pastry I bought at the train station.

Today was Monday, but due to my condition, I’d skipped school. Now, I wasn’t too keen on going and I definitely didn’t mind being absent for a day. But today was The Monday; the day of the banquet of celebration to Aunt Rose’s latest book. And that was something I regret I had to miss.

“I’m very sorry, Aunt Rose!” I said for at least a twentieth time tonight.

“It’s okay, dear!” She reassured me once more.

“But I wanted to be there to support you and now not only am I not coming, but all three of you are not going to be able to enjoy yourselves because you’ll be worried about me! Not to mention, I kept you up all night and you do look tired.”

“Alissa Clover Green, you’re starting to get on my nerves! How many times do I have to tell you that it’s okay; it’s not like you wanted to get a food poisoning and you ate that thing on purpose. Now are you sure you don’t want one of us to stay here with you?”

“Yes, Aunty, I’m sure; you should all go and try to have fun!”

“That’s so sweet of you, dear!” Flora butted in, entering my bedroom. “Rose, we have to go now or we’ll be late. Now, Alice, you have our numbers; if there’s anything, anything at all, call us!” Both of my aunts leaned down and kissed me on the cheeks, before getting out. Soon after, I heard the engine to our car roar and I knew they were on their way.

All of a sudden, I felt lonely. It’d been a while since I’ve been on my own. Back at the Millers, I’d always in the company of with at least one of the twins, then I traveled with Asher, then we were greeted by Caden and Keegan… and then I started to feel sick and came back home, where I’d been constantly watched by my worried aunts. Even Azalea had been nicer to me.

But now the house was empty and I was on my own. Cade had called a dozen times today, wanting to come over, but I’d told him not to; I didn’t want him to be worried about me, but I also had another reason for not wishing the boy here: vanity. I didn’t want the guy I liked to see me throwing my guts out… That was definitely not a pretty sight! So I’d told him I’d take a nap and rest.

That was actually a good idea. I was feeling rather tired, so a nap sounded quite tempting right now.

*****

Caden POV

“Did you tell her yet?” Cillian inquired, placing a few beers on a tray.

“She was feeling sick and didn’t come to school, remember?” I responded, knowing all too well he meant whether I’d told Alice about how I felt for her.

“Yeah, it’s probably better if you said it face to face and not over the phone,” he concluded thoughtfully. “Table nine,” the man added, handing me the tray.

Technically, I wasn’t allowed to serve alcohol. But it was early in the afternoon (I’d come to work straight after school) and only the pub patrons were here. Knowing they wouldn’t cause any trouble and feeling rather lazy today, Cillian had decided that I should be the one to serve the clients.

I took the tray and went to the far corner of the pub where Will sat on table nine with a couple of his friends. I put a beer in front of each of them and was just about to leave when William made the mistake to comment on my new job.

“Now aren’t you a good little waitress?” I heard a few snickers from around the table, but they didn’t last long and turned into surprised gasps as I swirled around and, using my left hand, grabbed Will by the neck of his shirt.