The birthday girl

Alice POV

The light breeze flew by me as I walked towards the pub on Friday night. I was wearing blue jeans, a white tank top and my light denim jacket; it's not like I was in need of anything more in this weather. The boys had told me that today they'll be heading to Cillian's earlier than usual to which I replied I'll get a cab and meet them there later. But who would mind a walk in such lovely weather? Besides, the pub was only about an hour by foot and that was not much by my standards.

It was rather crowded tonight with a lot of the regulars sitting on the wooden chairs, chatting and drinking beer which was the preferred beverage at Cillian's. As I made my way to the bar, I noticed a group of girls that I had never seen before. The five of them appeared to be celebrating something: all of them had dressed up, done their hair and overdone their make up. There were a bunch of boxes in colorful wrapping paper on the table around which they stood. Maybe one of them had a birthday? By the looks of them, they've been here for a while; even though it was still early, it was obvious they were already slightly buzzed and it didn't seem like they would put an end to their little party anytime soon.

"Hey, Cillian!" I greeted cheerfully as I reached the bar.

"Hey, Alice! You're the last to come tonight," he pointed at Asher who was on one of the stools and Caden who sat on top of the bar again.

"The last? What about Keegan and Morgan?"

"Have a family dinner or somethin'," Ash shrugged.

"Oh!" I exclaimed a bit disappointed and sat next to him. "I was looking forward to getting to know Morgan better."

"You'd be the first female to want to do that!" Cillian snorted.

"How come?"

"Morgan is... hmm... not very friendly towards competition," the pub owner explained.

"But I'm not competition," I protested, air-quoting the last word.

Asher mumbled "I wouldn't be so sure" at the same time Caden muttered "Yeah, right". Both of them were shaking their heads with amused smirks on their faces.

"Alice," Cillian gave me a knowing look, "If you've managed to get these boys' attention, then yes, Morgan will view you as competition."

The boys in question simultaneously nodded in agreement.

"Now... Is it soda or do you want something else tonight?" The bartender asked.

"Soda," I answered a bit distracted.

So I guess my instincts were right; Morgan had been faking politeness the other day. Maybe it was better that she wasn't here... I still missed Keegan though.

I heard a light thump as Caden jumped off the bar, taking his smokes out of his back pocket.

"Be back in ten," he announced, heading for the door.

As he passed by the table with the partying girls, I saw all five of them blatantly checking him out, exploring each millimeter of his body with a hungry glint in their eyes. As soon as he got out, they leaned closer to each other and started animatedly whispering amongst themselves. They stood that way, with their heads close together until, for some unknown to me reason, they burst out in joyous giggles.

*****

Cillian POV

"Table next to the door, brunette," was all Caden said before wrapping his arms around Alissa's waist and leaning down to her.

This had now become a routine around here: if Ash had problems - Alice was his "girlfriend"; if someone was bugging her – it was vice versa. But now was the first time Caden did this. He usually didn't mind the girls chasing after him; he was used to it. And if they became too clingy he just told them to get lost with, no subtlety about it.