Chapter Nineteen

"Lily you sure you're okay in there" Anna called from the hallway. Lily had taken herself off to the bathroom while everyone mingled.

Ryan and Lily had arranged a small party for their family and close friends, firstly as an ice breaker to prepare for their wedding and secondly to announce their baby news. They had invited Ryan's parents, Lily's parents, Gemma and Dave, Brett and Steph, Anna, Natalie, Brent, Zach, Eddie and Drew.

"I'm fine" Lily replied, she stuffed the small white stick in the trash can under the sink and put a layer of tissue over the top.

"Oh thank god I almost left a puddle" Anna rushed in the bathroom and locked the door as soon as Lily come out. Lily laughed and shook her head as she walked back towards the lounge. Ryan was pouring his Mom another glass of wine.

"Oh Lily come and have some wine with me and Marlene" Violet called when she saw her daughter come back inside the room. Lily looked at Ryan and he nodded.

"Erm, while we are all here. There's something we need to tell you all" Ryan moved and stood beside Lily, looping an arm around her waist.

They both had everyone's attention now "Thing is...erm" Lily couldn't speak.

"What Lily is trying to say is, she can't drink and there is a very good reason for that" Ryan smiled confidently as he put his hand on Lily's stomach "We're pregnant, well Lily is at least" Lily half smiled as she watched the thrilled reactions.

"Oh my god honey that's amazing news" Violet rushed to hug Lily and Ryan, she was followed closely by Marlene and Gemma and Steph.

"Congratulations Man" Brett shook Ryan's hand and so did Tom and Dave. The OneRepublic guys all hugged him and Lily in turn.

"Have you been for a scan?" Violet asked eagerly. Ryan and Lily nodded, before Ryan took a photo out of his pocket and handed it to Violet.

"Oh my god. How far along are you?" Marlene was looking over Violet's shoulder at the scan picture.

"Almost 13 weeks" Lily replied.

"I can't believe we are going to be bump buddies" Gemma hugged Lily tightly. Her heart sank when Lily saw Gemma's swollen stomach. She was suddenly reminded of the baby she lost.

"Yeah, erm I'm just going to..." Lily didn't finish her sentence before rushing off towards the bedroom.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to..." Gemma stuttered and Ryan put his hand on her shoulder "It's fine Gemma honestly, she has been like this since she found out she was pregnant. It's nothing you have done. I think she feels guilty for being happy about this baby"

"Shall I talk to her?" Gemma suggested and Ryan nodded.

××

"Is everything okay?" Marlene sat beside Ryan as he waited for Lily to come back.

"Yeah I just think she feels bad about being excited about this pregnancy, after she..." Ryan tried to explain things to his Mom.

"Oh poor love, of course she must be a mixture of emotions. How can I be so insensitive?" Marlene sighed "I'm sorry honey it must be difficult for you too?"

"Yeah, it's hard you know" Ryan looked around the room and seemed disappointed Lily wasn't back yet "I'm really excited that she's pregnant again, but in the back of my mind I can't help wondering...she would have been a little further along than Gemma now"

Marlene hugged Ryan tightly "I'm sorry son"

××

"Lily honey" Gemma sat beside Lily on the bed and put her hand on Lily's back "I'm sorry if me being here is upsetting you"