Chapter 20

Michael walked into the living room and sighed, dropping his bags onto the sofa. He looked at Ashton and smiled sadly, the older boy looking at him sympathetically and opening his arms. Mikey obliged and cuddled into him, thankful he had called him over while he was on his way.

"Are you okay?" Ashton asked and rubbed Michael's back soothingly. Mikey nodded and sighed into his shoulder, closing his eyes briefly. He had already explained the full details to Ashton during the phone call on his way home, so he didn't have to explain anything.

Ashton smiled sadly and pulled back from the hug, sitting on the couch with Michael by his side instead. "What are you guys going to do? Are you still staying in touch with him?" he asked and let Michael rest his head on his shoulder.

Mikey shrugged a little and bit his lip. "I think I'll wait until tomorrow to text him, just so I won't annoy him or be a bother," he said and rubbed his face against his soft sleeve.

"Where's the kitten?" he asked, wanting to get Luke off his mind.

Ashton watched his friend fondly and chuckled softly. He ruffled Michael's hair gently then clicked his tongue quickly, the small animal prancing into the room. Mikey's face lit up and he awed as the kitten climbed on the couch, sitting on Ashton's thigh.

The two had a lazy day, watching Netflix and babbling like they usually do. They ordered pizza and practically lived on the comfy couch for the day. Michael was glad Luke was off his mind, though deep down inside he ached for him.

Luke went to his classes, fellow students asking him about Michael. A lump stayed stock in the bottom of his throat, it swelling each time someone asked. Maybe he was overreacting, but it still hurt him. He couldn't be with someone who craved attention like that. Sure, Luke wasn't the best person to be with due to his inexperience with dating but he was at least loyal, honest, and humble.

After school, Luke rushed to his dorm to change clothes then sped to his work. He walked in and self consciously flattened out his clothes.

"Hi boss," the blonde chimed. Luke was an ass-kisser at work, always acting like a complete angel around his boss. Though he was already sweet and kind in general, he had to up his game around his strict boss, mostly because he wanted to keep his job and he was aiming for a raise.

"Hemmings," his boss replied, having that emotionless, stern face. Luke bit his lip and looked at the man as he motioned his finger for him to come near. The blonde hesitated but quickly forced himself to step inside the office.

"Yes, sir?" Luke asked, watching the burly man sit down in his black leather desk chair.

"Have a seat, Hemmings," he said and waved his hand to the chair in front of the boy.

Luke swallowed hard and promptly sat down, his hands clasped in his lap as he tried not to fidget. He watched the man straighten his tie and fold his hands on the desk, staring at him with unapproving eyes.

"You're a great employee, Hemmings, but I'm afraid I have to let you go. You've been missing too much work for the past couple weeks," he said, his voice not at all sympathetic.

Luke could feel his throat close up and his eyes burn. "S-Sir, please," he begged, sitting up straighter. "You don't understand. I-I have student loans to pay off," he said, his voice sounding so weak and helpless. It may not seem like a huge deal to others, but college was really all that Luke had. He wanted a successful future, he wanted a degree and a career, not a low-paying job.

His boss sighed deeply and sat back in his chair, which bobbed slightly for a moment then steadied. "I'm sorry, Hemmings," he said, once again emotionless.

Luke closed his eyes tightly and looked away for a moment. With a shaky breath and wobbly legs, he rose from his chair and took off his nametag, resting it on the deep cherry wood desk.

---

Luke kicked a rock as he walked, his tears now dry but staining his cheeks as the cool night air nipped at him. He wrapped his arms tightly around himself, his legs seeming to have a mind of their own. Instead of doing assignments and studying like he should be, he was walking around town alone, just to clear his mind.

Luke felt completely awful with himself, hating that he didn't have Michael with him. He honestly missed the boy, no matter how much he tried to deny it. He vowed to himself he'd call Michael or at least text him tomorrow.

Although their relationship mostly revolved around sex, there were times where it was sweet and peaceful. Luke honestly missed times where they would cuddle or hold hands, occasionally play Xbox together and such. He smiled to himself as the memories swarmed through his mind.

Luke sighed and bit his lip, finally turning around and making his way back to the campus. He stuffed his hands in his pocket and walked past some other Uni kids who were wandering around campus, either getting back from work or having dinner. He kept to himself as usual and took the stairs, not wanting to take the elevator because he felt awkward being in an enclosed area with strangers.

He sighed once he entered his dorm. His empty dorm.

Luke bit his lip and shut the door, slipping off his shoes and laying down in bed. He ran his hands through his hair and sighed deeply, deciding to go job hunting tomorrow. If anything, he might have to give up his dorm for some extra money and just find an old friend to live with.

Luke frowned to himself, hating the fact his parents had let him be completely independent and didn't even help pay for college expenses.

Luke sighed again and stripped to his boxers and shirt then shut off the lamp, thinking to himself.

Maybe he could just drop out of college and find a job, maybe even settle in an apartment with Michael if things went well.

Luke bit his lip softly and shook his head slowly, hating the fact he wasn't wealthy and such like Michael. The boy let him escape the fact he was barely hanging on. Michael made him actually feel like he could make it through the troubles of life.