The One That Got Away

Where do I begin. Its never been easy for me, I live with step parents and a stuck up step sister. I never knew my parents. I was found in the woods where my parents abandoned me, but I would of rather been left there. I know now I live with the duke and dutchus, and I should be happy about that, and I am, its just I am not appreciated. I need my parents. So I will start this story of many stories here, the day I first met him.

The sun was out bright and I squinted my eyes as it pierced into them. I sat up from my lumpy bed and stretched. I got up and out of my night dress. I put on a plain white dress with a brown apron over it. I brushed my curly blonde hair and stared at the bags under my hazel eyes for not sleeping for the past couple nights. I wipped off my dress and walked out the door and into the dinning hall. My parents were sitting at the table talking and looked at me when I came in the room.

"Well breakfast is not going to make itself, is it not?" My mother was a proper woman and always had the latest fashions and accessories. She had her hair high and a smug look always on her face. I curtsied and walked out of the room and into the kitchen. I bent my head down as I walked throught the kitchen, it had a low ceiling. I made them some delicious bread and fruits and brought it into the dinning hall. As I was putting the last bowl of fruit down my sister came in.

She spun in a circle in her new and beautiful dress for my mother to see, "You look beautiful Anna. I love it." Anna's face filled with pride. She looked over at me and gave me a disgusted look. She walked over to the table to eat and sat across my father. He is the one who scared me the most. He had brown almost red eyes and was bald with only a goti to warm his face.

"Mother I want a new dress for my school tour of the castle. I want to be noticed by Prince Miles." My mother nodded. She then looked up at me, "You will accompany Anna to the shop, only to carry her things." I smiled in pleasure and nodded. I ran up stairs, into my room and I grabbed my black cloak out of the dresser and ran down stairs. Anna was in the door way waiting for the carrige to pull up. "You couldn't of dressed nicer, we are going in public. So, stay atleast 6 feet behind me so no one suspects we know each other."

The carrige pulled up and Anna got in the back and made me sit in the front with our driver, Phllip. He was a kindly old man with grey hair and beard. He smiled at me when I hopped on. We road along the bumpy dirt path. "Hows the family Phillip?" His slight smile turned into a frown. "Alice, she is getting sicker by the minute. We cannot afford a doctor non the less anyone in the medical field." I looked down at my hands, inside my enclosed hands was some money I had saved to get a nice dress, it was enough to by the best doctor and some medicine. Why could the rich not help out the needy. We are looked down upon like some garbage, but we are the same as others. That stupid nobility.

We road into the middle of town and people looked and cleared paths for us as we cleared way. We stopped infront of the store and Anna was let out. I hopped off of the carrige and turned to Phillip. He smiled at me and I grabbed his hand and opened it. I dropped in my coins into the mans shakey hand, he looked down at me. "I cannot take this from you." He tried to hand it back, but I just closed his hand, "Its a gift, it is much better knowing it is helping someone else than any pathetic dress." He sighed but then smiled, "Thank you, Journey, I can never thank you enough." I just smiled and backed away.

The carrige road off and I waved to Phillip as he road away. I pulled my hood from my head and let my curls move freely. I walked over to the town fountain and I pulled a shilling from my pocket, I closed my eyes to make a wish. I through it behind me and watched it splash into the fountain. "What did you wish for?" I looked up and I shielded my eyes from the sun as I tried to make out the face. "It will not come true if I tell you." I replied. The man sat at my side on the fountain. He was handsome, with his freely swept brown hair and stern, but kind eyes. I smiled, "You look familiar, have we met before?" I asked as I studied his face. He laughed a heart warming deep laugh.