Chapter Thirty-Six

Start from the beginning

I roll my eyes and jump up.

I give Peeta a look and shake my head, mouthing, 'No. No. No." Repeatedly.

He better not say 'Yes' if he know what's good.

Peeta takes a deep breath, "Mrs. Everdeen, I would have to discuss it with Katniss but I highly doubt it. We opened a new bakery here in Twelve and Katniss is busy taking care of the baby and we are just super busy." He says going on, trying to make her feel overwhelmed and hopefully back out.

"I don't get to see you guys anymore but I think I at least deserve to meet my granddaughter once." She tries.

I put my hand on the table angrily, "It was your damn choice not to see us!" I burst out.

Peeta bites his lip and let's me have at it, surprisingly enough.

"And you don't deserve to see her because of that. You didn't want to have anything to do with us." I remind her, angrily, nearly disgusted that she thinks just because she wants to see Willow just once, that I'm going to let her.

Peeta puts his hand on my back and his finger over his lip, telling me to hush up.

"Katniss, it's nothing personal really. But you don't understand how hard it is." She says.

I roll my eyes, "Peeta and I know exactly how hard it is. Peeta for sure." I state.

"Fine. Can you please just tell me her name and birthday?"

I roll my eyes, "She's one years old but sure, her name is Willow Mellark and she was born on February 4th." I say, quaintly. Even though I am half tempted to scream at her very mean things.

How could she not even know her own granddaughters' name and birthday?

Obviously she can, because it happened.

She hasn't called or anything in well over a year and for all she knows one of us could be dead or something.

"Okay." She says softly.

I roll my eyes.

"Um, how are things?" Peeta asks her, trying to be polite but I just want to hang up the damn phone already.

My mother sighs, "Okay, I guess."

"Okay." He says awkwardly.

"How about you all?"

Peeta shrugs and looks at me, even though he will hate my answer.

"It was going perfectly fine until you called." I mumble and Peeta gives me the dirtiest look.

"Katniss-" Peeta starts to scolds me.

"What?" I say annoyed that he's getting onto me for it but it's true.

My mom sighs deeply, "Well, I love you all and I must be going now." She says and hangs up.

Oh NOW she loves us.

Peeta glances up at me.

"Was it not?" I say raising my eyebrows, an annoyed, open mouthed expression on my face.

"That was rude, Katniss."

"I am rude. I'm sorry that your wife isn't as perfect and polite as you are." I say annoyed at him too.

Peeta rolls his eyes, "Don't you think that if it was switched, you'd want me to let my mother meet Willow just once?"

I shake my head, "No, because you didn't want our kids around her so I wouldn't have pushed it so you shouldn't either." I say.