I run as fast as I can back to Ponyboy's house in hopes someone is there and knows where the heck Dally is. Of course with my luck, no one's back yet. I sit on the couch with so many thoughts running through my head. In situations as stressful as these, I usually pick at my fingernails or my fingers. It's just something I do. I don't know why but I can't control it right now. I don't want Dally to die tonight.  

Soda and Steve back first. Then Darry and Ponyboy, Johnny, and Two-Bit step inside not long after that. Everyone shows up but Dally. Of course.  

"Who's ready for the rumble?" Steve asks as he playfully holds Soda in a headlock. Everyone shouts their agreement. There's still so much time before the rumble, and I'm gonna have a panic attack if I don't tell Dally! 

"JT, ain't you excited we're gonna stomp them?" Two-Bit asks. They all look to me for an answer.  

"Not really. Y'all are gonna get hurt!" I answer.  

"We'll be alright," Soda says. "It's a fair rumble." 

"It ain't like there's knives or chains or something," Ponyboy adds.  

"Well I mean, I'm glad it's gonna end with the socs but I don't want anyone hurt," I answer.  

"We won't. I'll promise you that right now," Darry says. "The worst we get is a black eye, busted lip, you know, the usual." 

I sigh. This isn't something to be taken lightly. But I guess they know what they're doing.  

"Where's Dallas?" I ask a little suddenly.  

"Don't know. Probably out and around somewhere," Two-Bit answers.  

"Why?" Johnny asks.  

"I don't know. I was just wondering," I lie. They shrug it off.  

Well all kinda end up eating whatever we can find since it's the night of the rumble. They'll be fighting anyway so what would it matter?  

The time gets closer and closer to eight o'clock. I begin to wonder why they're even gonna have this out. My thoughts and emotions are just running wild. I'm not sure what to think or feel. 

Everyone's getting ready for the rumble now. Just fifteen more minutes until they're all fighting it out. I'm starting to feel angry rather than scared. I need to see Dally though. I guess that's why I'm so mad.  

"I've gotta go with you," I announce.  

"No way!" Steve says.  

"Yeah. You'll get hurt," Soda adds.  

"I can take care of myself. I don't want to fight. I just have to do something," I argue.  

"I don't think that's too hot of an idea," Two-Bit says.  

"Yeah, you remember what we talked about the first night after the phone call, right? Those socs'll kill you or something," Ponyboy says.  

Wrong choice of words! 

"That's not what I'm saying. C'mon I just gotta do something before it starts. I won't be long. I promise," I beg.  

"Can't you do it after?" Steve asks.  

"It'd be too late then," I mumble. "C'mon!" I whine.  

"No. You just stay here. Johnny, you going with us?" Darry says.  

"Sure, I'll go," he answers. I'm surprised he is going. After all he's been through, he's still gonna fight? Johnny Cade's a brave kid... 

"Look, JT. I don't know what's gonna happen down there. You shouldn't go, alright?" he says, addressing me.