Chapter Nine: There's this guy who is...always cocky on Wednesday

"Tomorrow, dear. You'll be known as the princess of Denmark. Once was a legend but is now sought." Seriously, my parents speak as if we were in ancient times.

"But a day is not enough for you to learn how to be a ruler, a guide, and a royalty. So, you'll have to learn the basic for tomorrow. Just for show."

Mother snapped her finger then one of the maids set down a pile of books. My mother picked up the largest one and opened it. "A princess must be knowledgable about everything; in her kingdom, in the field of music, literary, technology, arts, dances, to what she should wear, or how she should speak. It is important to have your every move, tarnished." I mentally groaned to every word that came out of her mouth.

"Do you know all the countries?" I nodded. I had memorized them all for history in 8th grade and until now, I still do.

With the events coming in faster than the last, I feel more anxious and hesitant about this marriage. The problem with this is that we have to convince the public about a strong bond.

"That's not it, dear." She placed my fingers on the strings and ordered me to strum in up and down pattern. I wasn't a musician or anything and besides, how is this connected to being a ruler? I wouldn't have time to play it anyway.

I might seem collected outside but inside, I'm slowly falling. This is all for naught! I didn't want to be fixed in a marriage! How can you even convince people with this kind of relationship we share. We're just strangers, people who are so close yet so far apart.

"Remember, in leadership, you would want to have many allies and they are most likely betrayed. However, there is a way to find real allies. Find your real friends." I let her message sink in. Now that I think of it, I never told Savannah that I was betrothed to Alex.

My mind focused on a new matter, my best friend.

"Annabeth, where you not listening?" I snapped my head to where she was talking about.

I scrunched my face in rejection. All I could think was fuck the dresses. On a perfectly straight line in a very agitating room full of mirrors, dresses and corsets were aligned by color.

"It is customary that a princess embellish gowns for every single occasion." I mentally groaned. Of course, If I had shown that to my mother, she'd definitely not hesitate to throw me out.

"I'm not used to wearing these things." I spoke softly and strained every groan threatening to come out.

"I can see why." She looked down to what I was wearing. I can see by her eyes that she was judging me and I hate it. Suddenly, I felt the urge to prove her wrong.

"There are rules so," she paused and hummed, analyzing. "We'll have to throw these clothes away."

I was taken back, too shocked to answer her. Finally, after two seconds or so, I finally came to my senses. "Wait, what?"

"Yes. Why, dear? Where these clothes given to you as a gift of some sorts?"

No! Not that. But they're expensive. I just got them with Savannah this past 2 weeks. "Not really but they were expensive."

"I'm sorry, dear, but we have to abide by the rules." She shoved a corset to my hand and said, "Get these on and when you do, call Emilia to tighten it for you." I did as I was told. I didn't have to hear something twice to do it.

***

"This dress is too tight! I can't even move in this." I complained as Emilia, the head maid, gripped the laces even harder.