Seventeen: Toughen Up

**CHAPTER SONG: Beyonce - Crazy In Love (2014 Remix)**

"So what did he do?" I asked, looking at one of the guys hands to see it crushed and bloody.

"He tried sneaking onto the property via the river where Straine took you but I think he's just a message being sent to say that Kaspar is still watching us. He won't give us any information and he didn't have any seriously dangerous weapons on him, so we'll just kill him and leave his body somewhere for Kaspar to find. So he knows that we're not letting you go again."

I gasped quietly at the ease in which he spoke about taking someone's life but then considered all of the information that I had ever learned about The Alliance. It was dangerous. Jay was dangerous. Everybody here was dangerous. But somehow they all still managed to make me feel like they were just a normal family, taking me in and looking after me. Yet at the same time, the people living in this house were some of the most deadly in this half of the country.

"Okay so what's next?" I asked, making Jay turn to look at me.

"Next is that you go upstairs and get James, Charlie and Speedy, and you go to our room and stay there until I come back later. I don't want you anywhere near this shit."

"No way, not happening." I replied, letting go of his hand and walking towards the guy in the chair.

"Princess what are you doing?" Jay asked but made no move to stop me.

"What's your name?" I asked the guy and he looked up slightly before spitting blood at my feet and smirking.

"Look pal, here's how this is gonna go." I said, grabbing a small hammer from the table and smashing it onto his other hand, so now both were crushed. He screamed out in sheer agony and I heard Jay gasp from behind me, clearly not prepared for what I did.

"You're gonna go back to Kaspar, nice and beaten up, and you're gonna tell him that I'm not a chick to be messed with. I've pretty much had my fill of his bullshit and you are the final straw." The guy continued to groan and cry. "I'm not some little girl who can't take care of herself and if Kaspar continues to try and harm me then he really is gonna reap the consequences of his actions."

I walked back to the table and picked up a small knife before returning to the guy.

"Got it?" I asked, lifting the knife up as if I were about to stab him in the thigh.

"I've got it! I've got it!" He cried. "I understand I promise! Please just stop... Please I'll do anything."

"Pussy." I muttered, dropping the knife back onto the table and turning to Jay, who looked absolutely horrified at what I'd just done.

"What?" I asked.

"You just... Who the hell was that? What just happened?"

"I was making a point Jay. Don't kill the guy, just get Charlie, James and Speedy to really rough him up some more and then send him back. I think it will be a much more effective message than a body bag."