Ten: Tube Saviour

**CHAPTER SONG: P!nk - U + Ur Hand**

"This is incredible Jessie, some of your best work. Where did all this inspiration come from?"

"My trip back home was... Inspirational. I guess."

"Are you trying to tell me that you're friends with a load of badass gang members or something?" Janice laughed and I tried to smile but just couldn't manage it.

"Something like that." I replied.

"I can't believe how little time this took to finish, you've only been back a couple of weeks. I'm dead impressed. This calls for a celebratory drink, what do you say?" She asked with encouraging smile.

"Maybe another time... I just need some time off now, some free time without everyday reminders of that gang." Of course, I was referring to The Alliance, but she didn't know that. The truth was, the book that I'd just finished was close to an autobiographical account of what had happened a couple of weeks back in Nottingham and writing it had been a constant reminder of what I'd left behind. But it felt good to have finished the book and got Janice off of my back for a while.

"Well you definitely deserve it. What are you doing for your birthday tomorrow? The big two-oh. Are you having a party? Friends over?" Her questions brought painful reminders of the fact that tomorrow would be the two year anniversary of leaving Nottingham and leaving Jay. Jay. Oh God, Jay.

"Movie night with Ben and Jerry's I believe." I murmured with a forced smile. "I've got to get going but I'll get in touch in a few weeks after I've had a break." I stood up and gave her a small wave, scarpering from her office before she could say another word.

Since coming back to London, I'd been constantly watching my back, being wary of anyone I came into contact with and always carrying my gun with me. It had been a torturous two weeks of being locked up in my little Camden flat and spending the days writing and the nights drinking myself to sleep. I had been so scared to go anywhere that I'd had to call the Chinese takeaway underneath my flat numerous times to deliver some food to my door. 

Using the tube was the most terrifying thing out of it all. There were so many people and everyone seemed to be watching me. Or was that just me being jittery? But the most terrifying time was when there were no people at all on the tube, when there would be a single man or group of guys on the platform along with myself. Were they watching me? Were they part of The Zemsta?

Now was one of those times. I was stood in the South Kensington tube station waiting for my train and not too far along the platform was a single guy, dressed in all black and glancing at me every so often. He was definitely suspicious. He was probably a Zemsta guy and I was probably about to get kidnapped. Great.

The tube train arrived and I jumped on it quicker than I thought possible, sitting down on the empty train in a seat next to the door, just in case I needed a quick escape. I continued to glance at the unknown guy as I waited to get to my stop and breathed a sigh of relief as I jumped up and left the train, slamming straight into someone as I stepped onto the platform.