Chapter 13

'What the hell do you mean she's 'regenerating' - there's a giant hole in her torso!" You heard someone yell.

"I mean exactly what I say Levi! Eren's body is doing the exact same thing. Her wound will heal in a day or so- according to my calculations," a different voice said.

"So when will the brats finally become conscious?" Levi's voice hovered coldly in the air.
"It's hard to tell- Eren's body has been exposed to this kind of pressure multiple times before," the other voice said calmly, reminding you of Hanji, "Eren was completely worn down after the first few shifts and considering that this is only the second time (F/N) has shifted- I have no doubt in my mind that she will be the exact same way..."

You kept slipping in and out of consciousness. Every time you seemed to see the light, you were pulled back under again...

It was unpleasant- you kept having the same dream over and over again... Petra and the others being killed over and over. Only, it wasn't a dream. They were gone- truly gone and you couldn't help but feel as though their deaths were linked to your actions. You felt at fault for their fate.

You felt something on your hand- or rather someone, their hand in yours.
A sigh, "Hanje says that you can hear me...maybe," pause, "I'm here to keep you company and to watch over you."

Eren squeezed your hand, "You're making me worry about you again- no matter how many times I try and help you-..." There was a long pause of icy silence- it was as though you could feel Eren's longing gaze through your eyelids. It made you uncomfortable.

"What happened was not your fault," Eren said, breaking the silence, "no matter how many scenarios you try and fix it with...Regret won't change the past and it sure as hell won't bring them back."

That's all you got to hear of Eren's voice as you slipped back into the dark space in your mind that held all of your sorrows and pain. You considered Eren's words- He was right of course. Regret won't change anything...

You opened your eyes to streams of light flowing through your open window, a slight breeze flowing through out.

"Glad you're finally awake," Levi said mischievously.

You sat up and looked over at Levi, who was leaning against the wall opposite you.

"Captain," you said in a groggy voice, slinging your feet around to the floor and went to stand.

Levi was across the room in a matter of seconds-

"Don't- you need to rest," he said- his voice lacking concern.

You snorted, "I think I've had my fill of 'rest'. Where are the others?"

Levi frowned, "Their outside..."

"And Eren? Where is he?" You asked anxiously, remembering what Eren had said to you. You wanted him with you- a pang of disappointment hit you that Levi was the one looking out for you and not Eren.

"He's up by the hill...he's been up there all day- it's the first time he's been out of headquarters since the mission a week ago. He spent all of his time in here- next to you- the minute he woke up," Levi said blankly, "He said he needed to collect his thoughts."

Something warm fluttered in you heart at the thought of Eren looking after you. Even after all that's happened- he's still there for you, even when you were kids.

You slowly stood from the side of the bed. You could feel bandages wrapped around your stomach and partly on your legs too. You paid little attention to this though.

You paid close attention to Levi. He kept avoid your gaze and seemed to be shifting his weight a lot.

He noticed and sneered, "Are you just gonna stare at me all day? Just- go run to lover boy already."