**Chapter 1**

*  *  *
"(F/N)!" I heard a voice call from across the barren field.

I squinted at the three figures in the distance. My friends, Eren, Mikasa, and Armin, were waving at me frantically, trying to get my attention.

I waved back at them and they beckoned me to come and join them.

I shook my head and turned my back to them, showing off the bundle of wood on my back, "I can't!" I shouted, "I have to drop this off first!"

Eren stood up then and cupped his hands around his mouth to amplify his voice, "Oh come on, (F/N)! That can wait can't it?"

I sighed at the thought, but I guess Dad could wait another hour or so for the wood.

I started my way across the grassy valley, the sound of wood on wood echoed throughout the empty land as I ran over to where my friends sat peacefully.

I could see Eren's face brighten up immediately and I felt myself blush. I had had a crush on him since the day I met him. He was always so kind and thoughtful towards me and I couldn't ask for a better best friend.

The day I met him was a rather awkward experience. I had accidentally run into him when some kids were chasing me and knocked over his makeshift backpack of wood.

The bullies had turned and started running in the opposite direction -all thanks to Mikasa -and as expected, she was ready to beat the life out of me for almost hurting her brother. She made me pick up the fallen wood that I made Eren drop.

Eren didn't seem to mind and even helped me with the wood while I blubbered on about how sorry I was for being such a klutz. Eren simply laughed it off and apologized for being in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

I laughed at this nervously and looked up to find him staring at me with his bright teal-green eyes.

Blushing, we both stood. "Erm-" Eren said, scratching the back of his head awkwardly, "I'm Eren. What's your name?"

I smiled at him, "I'm (F/N). It's nice to meet you."

Eren's eyes widened a bit, his face turning bright red before saying, "You should hang out with us sometime -I'm sure Mikasa would - gah!"

But that's all I got to hear before Mikasa grabbed Eren by the ear and started half-dragging him back in the direction they came from.

I finally reached the spot where my three closest friends were sitting at and set my pack of wood to the side before taking my spot beside Eren.

Eren looked upset about something. Maybe his Dad left town again, I thought.

Eren always used to get so upset when his father left on a business trip. He would cry and cry for hours at a time -afraid that his dad would never come home.

I could relate to how he felt back then. Both of my parents were a part of the Scout Regiment and would frequently leave on expeditions and the such.

Eren would always come to me whenever his dad left. And all I could do was comfort him.

Eren's parents were rather fond of me. Mr. Jaeger checked up on me often. They both seemed to have figured out that I had a crush on their son and probably treated me especially so that I wouldn't die of a disease before I could make my move...

I looked up at Mikasa and Armin -their faces cold and unforgiving. Concerned, I felt my smile fade into a frown, "What's wrong?"

Eren shrugged and Mikasa explained to me that Eren has lost his mind, all because he wanted to become a Scout.