**Chapter 5**

*  *  *
I sighed at the feeling of a million weights being lifted from my shoulders. I clutched the golden locket that hung around my neck and whispered, "It did it. I'm officially a Scout."

I closed my eyes and Eren's young innocent face came to my mind. I never really found out of he survived the colossal Titan attack. I was hopeful at first -but now not so much.

I missed him dearly. I couldn't help but think that if he were still alive that we would be happy. Best friends. Maybe even more than friends...

I looked out the carriage window -but there was nothing much to see really. It was already almost midnight and the graduate ceremony was over with.

"Cadet (L/N)?," Erwin said.

I looked over at him with emotionless eyes and said, "Yes, sir?"

He and Levi were the only other people in the wagon. They sat on the opposite side of me -Levi with his arms crossed over his chest menacingly and Erwin resting his chin on his hand out of boredom.

"You don't seem to look so well...are you alright?" he asked me, with barely any tone at all.

I nodded, "Yes, I'm just a little tired is all..."

"Are you worried that you have made the wrong choice?" Levi asked, his tone as flat as Erwin's.

"No, sir. I am very confident in the choice that I have made -and wouldn't change it for the world."

"Then why the long face?"

I looked back out the window, everything flashing in my mind, my mother, my father, and...Eren.

"I'm afraid that, happiness, is not really something that is in my vocabulary at the moment," I replied.

Then there was silence. I didn't look back at either of the two men in the carriage with me. Instead, I just closed my eyes and pretended to fall asleep...

About a half-hour later, Commander Erwin broke the silence.

"You will have a very skilled new team member, Captain Levi."

"Indeed..." was all that Levi said.

I'm going to be on Levi's team?, I thought trying my best to keep my eyes closed.

"I expect great things from her... Both her parents were practically legends and now look what two prodigies have bestowed us."

"A future pain in the as-"

"A soldier who will plow through any and every titan she see's." Erwin cut Levi off.

"Now don't get ahead of yourself. We have only seen her when she trained with other soldiers, who I might add are about 3 times as small as Titans." Levi implied.

"You think that I don't know that, Levi? I'm simply saying that she could be useful."

"Tch, then why did we let the brat graduate a year early , so that all she could do is be useful? Humanity isn't going to survive off of 'usefulness'." Levi shot back at Erwin.

"Hey, you're the one saying that-"

"Yes, I know what I said." Levi cut in.

Then there was a long moment of pause before Erwin said, "Are you worried about what your squad will think? You did tell them what you were doing, correct?"

"There were rumors about what I was doing but I didn't make anything official," Levi said flatly, "And no, I am not worried about them. And if they are, they just need to deal with it."