Chapter Twenty

The girls stood there in the driveway, watching Maxx drive down the street and turn the corner. When they were out of site Rachael turned to Sam, “So you and Austin?”

Sam laughed, “So you guys noticed, huh? Yeah, we got to talking. He told me how he was fed up with all the fake girls who try to get with him, and I told him how he was my favorite. I guess he thought I was different. It was nice to sleep next to someone again..” she trailed off, looking at the ground.

Cassie laughed, “speaking of boys, I’m going to go call Aaron,” she walked inside.

“I should probably head home to Chris,” Kat said, and hugged them, then went inside to get her things and say bye to Cassie.

Rachael hugged Sam, “Hey, at least we are in the same boat here. Are you two just talking, or what?” she asked.

“Yeah, just talking.. We figured we would see how things went when he's gone..” she sighed.

Rachael smiled, “yeah, but I think the four of us will make it, and hey, Austin has Cody to turn to, like we have each other.”

Sam smiled, “You’re right.”

When they were walking in the house, Kat was walking out. They all said goodbye again. Rachael stayed by the door to watch Kat leave.

Cassie came over to the door, the phone on her shoulder, “Hey, is it okay if Aaron comes over?” she asked.

“Of course,” Rachael said waving to Kat.

Cassie walked away and put the phone back to her ear. Rachael walked up to her room and fell onto her bed, sighing. She laid there with her eyes closed until she heard her phone go off. She smiled know it was probably Cody, and it was, the text said “Truck Stop Blues by New Found Glory.” Rachael knew the song and what it meant, and sent a heart back to him. 

Even though it was eight thirty at night, Rachael wanted to swim. She got into her bathing suit, grabbed a towel from the closet and went to Sam’s room, “Want to swim with me?”

Sam looked up from her laptop, “Sure, I’ll met you out there.”

Rachael saw Cassie and Aaron sitting in the living room. “Sam and I are going to swim,” she saidto them as she walked past.

When she got to the pool she dropped her towel on one of the chairs, walked up to the pool and just jumped in. When she came back up for air Sam was there, setting her towel down. She went and jumped in as well.

“So this weekend didn’t turn out like we thought it would, huh?” Sam laughed.

Rachael laughed with her, “nope not at all. I never thought Cody could feel that way about me..” she smiled thinking about it.

“I feel the same way with Austin,” Sam admitted but smiled also. 

After about an hour, they decided they were done swimming. “I’m a little hungry actually” Rachael said drying her hair off.

“I am too, how about we shower, see what the other two are doing and go to dennys?” Sam knew Rachael would like the idea.

“I’m down!” They both laughed and walked inside and to their rooms. Rachael checked her phone before she went to shower. There was a text from Cody that said “I miss you already..” She smiled. “I miss you more.” She undressed in her closet and threw everything in the hamper then went to shower.

She stepped into the hot water, and just stood there for a few minutes. She started thinking about Cody, everything from his smile, to his eyes, his scent, his body. She closed her eyes and started to think of him there with her. All these thoughts running through her mind. She snapped her eyes open, “oh man, I shouldn’t do that..” she said to her self. She hurried and finished showering. She threw on a tank top and sweats. She blow dried her hair as fast as she could and threw it up. 

Sam was sitting in the living room with Cassie and Aaron, and had already told them the plan. They were just waiting on Rachael.

She grabbed her bag on the chair next to her, “I’m ready.”

They got up and all walked outside. “Are you okay?” Sam whispered to her.

She looked over at Sam, “what? Yeah, why?”

Sam laughed, “you just look really flustered.”

Rachael stopped, “I’ll be right outside!” she said running up the stairs. She forgot her phone and knew she’d regret it if she didn’t grab it. They all got into Sam’s car and waited.