Lacey

Fantastic. The actual idea of having to do things with that mess of a so-called woman was a depressing thought indeed. She was basically an overgrown child that Daniel had ever so gracefully put me in charge of babysitting. Planning this wedding was going to be a nightmare, there was no escaping that now. The only option that I had left, was to try to get through it as quickly and as painlessly as humanly possible with as little interaction as I could possibly bare to make, starting with the cake.

Choosing the cake was an easy task and one that I looked forward to, mainly on the sole account of the fact that there would be next to no talking due to the amount cake that would be stuffed inside her giant pie hole. If there was any way to start this nightmare off, the least amount of conversation to be had between the two of us, the better.

"Lace? Was that Jess on the phone just now?"

"Ah- yes, why?" I answered startled as I turned around to face him.

"Did you tell her about the cake tasting?"

"Yes, I did. That's why I called." As if I would call her of my own free will.

I waited for him to make his way around the kitchen corner before I asked - begged really, to see - if having Jessica as my maid of honor was such a good idea after all, but the look on his face when he entered the room at just the mere idea of us collaborating together on this one, single occasion, confirmed the answer that I had already known to be true. Yes. This was necessary.

I sighed in defeat as I ran my fingers through his messy hair. How that innocent face of his could talk me into committing the most unspeakable of crimes. I would suffer through this agonizingly painful ordeal for him - and only him - as a vow of my complete and utter devotion for the rest our lives. And once he was mine, this Jessica Vale would soon find her way fading out of our existence only to be seen on birthdays and the occasional holiday that we could manage to spare. So what were a few more months of phony smiles and forced cooperation when it would be her last few months anyway?

This simple thought in the back of my mind was immediately consoling as I played out the next few months within my head, slowly fading her out into the background like static noise on the radio. I could feel the warmth of Daniel's lips as he kissed the side of my cheek and turned around to glide away on a cloud of happiness that I had created. The things we do for love. I smiled at the thought as I watched him disappear into the room that glistened like fire amongst the darkness the instant any ray of sunlight seeped beyond the blackened curtains. This moment. Right here, right now. This, was the first day of the rest of our lives.