Chapter 29

*Jasey's POV*

"Mr. Bolton," a loud female voice boomed over the intercom of the classroom, startling me to death, "will you send Jasey Clifford to the office to go home please?"

Mr. Bolton glared at me as I began to gather my things. I had grown to hate this class for obvious reasons and I was silently thanking God that I was leaving.

"She's on her way," he replied standing up from his desk.

"Where you going, Clifford?" Colby asked, chewing on the end of his mechanical pencil, looking to his group of friends before back at me. He looked my body up and down suggestively making me feel uncomfortable and self conscious.

I just shrugged my shoulders, trying to avoid their cold stares, in response not wanting to converse with the obnoxious, hormonal teenage boy. Although, I knew where I was going I would look for any excuse to not to have to exchange words with him.

I threw my backpack over my shoulders as I pushed the heavy wooden door open and exited the room.

Today! Today was the day I would become a licensed driver, legally anyways. I knew that my mum would be getting me out of school earlier than usual for this occasion, it just felt sooner than she was supposed too. Probably because I was already freaking out, creating scenarios in my head that would most likely never happen but I was just thinking of everything that could go wrong. Everything that probably would go wrong, knowing me. The anticipation and anxiety bubbling in my stomach, causing my hands to become clammy.

I entered the office to see my mother waiting for me, talking to Mrs. Donna. My mum looked older than usual today. She wasn't old really, she was actually quite young to be parenting two teenage kids. Nonetheless, she looked worn out, the wrinkles on her face deeper than before. The bags under her eyes standing out more than normal. She gave me a small smile before she spoke.

"Are you ready?" I just nodded in response not really in the talking mood today.

"Good luck Jasey," Mrs. Donna spoke kindly, probably remembering me from the whole phone encounter.

Luke was such an idiot but he was my idiot. God, I can never get him out of my mind. I wonder if he still thought about me, probably not. He had most likely forgotten all about me and already moved on. He was more than likely surrounded by gorgeous women who were way better than me. He was surrounded by super models and rock stars and what was I? I was a fucking potato with acne. That's what I was.

Fucking Luke. Focus Jasey! I cursed myself.

"Thank you," I replied quietly as I followed mum out of the building.

We didn't speak as we made our way to the car. Mother and I didn't speak much these days, not that we ever did really. I mean we were never close I mean not like mother and daughters were supposed to be, I was always closer with my dad ever since I could remember. It had felt different lately though, whenever we spoke our conversations seemed forced. Like we were both just playing mother daughter roles instead of actually being them.

"So are you excited?" She questioned.

"Yeah, kinda nervous though."

"I'm sure you'll be fine," she assured before asking, "do you want to drive to the DMV?"

"Are you sure?" I raised my eyebrows, reaching down to undo my seatbelt that I had already put on.

"Yeah," she nodded furiously, getting out of the car and walking around to the passenger side.

After we switched seats I started the car and pulled out of the school parking lot. The roads weren't to busy at this time of morning considering everyone was at work or school or if they were the lucky ones, sleeping. It wasn't really much of a challenge to drive to the place.