Chapter 18 Only One Can Stand

The image of Odin does not fade as Loki steps down, but his voice is like metal scraping against metal, "How clever you must feel."

I hold my head up, "How stupid you must feel."

He laughs, "I doubt that you thought this through."

"I've thought about it enough."

"I doubt that. When you kill Odin, what will the people think?"

"Considering that you're not Odin, I'd say they'd cheer."

"Arrogant, are we?"

"I prefer the term confident." I snap.

"Of course you do."

"You should have seen it coming." I say, stretching my arm so the ravens can perch where they belong, "Details are of upmost importance."

"Yes, they are." The image of Odin flickers a bit, revealing Loki beneath, but the image quickly reforms, "And when I order the guards to arrest you for treason, what will you do?"

"I will show them the truth."

"And how do you plan on doing that?" He asks.

I smirk, "I have my ways, do I not?"

"You think you scare me?"

I laugh sarcastically, "I believe that I instill fear in your heart."

"You've always been fluent in sarcasm, haven't you?"

"Enough talk, surrender now and I won't kill you." I say.

"I could offer you the same deal." He says, "Or, I will rule as Odin did, and you will let me. I will be just as he was, and you will have a proper ascension."

"Or I could fight you, kill you, and be remembered as not only the first Queen, but the Queen that saved Asgard from an imposter." I say, "And I would get my way."

"So be it." He says, pulling out Gungnir.

I draw Delvameg out of its sheath and stand opposite to him.

"You know, I really wish it hadn't come to this Ivanna."

"Save your honeyed words for someone who will listen." I growl.

He vanishes and I turn around, summoning my armor, but quickly remembering that it is down in the forges, being repaired.

Loki lets out a low chuckle when he sees my problem, "Looks like I'm not the only one with flawed plans."

"That's why I'm improvising." I say, pulling Delvameg into two swords.

I throw one of the swords as a distraction, aiming for a shot that would only hit if there were a miracle. Loki takes the bait and I charge, sword extended, ready to strike.

Loki quickly looks back and the weapons collide. With a simple flick, the remaining piece of Delvameg is thrown across the room. He lifts the blade of Gungnir to my throat, "What a shame. Here I was, ready to be peaceful, to make a deal, but you were a dull senseless creature that refused to cooperate."

He drops the blade but wraps a hand around my throat. I instinctively grab his arm and try to pull away, but his grip only tightens with my struggle.

"You're lucky I have to wear this pitiful excuse for a king, otherwise, my dear girl, you'd be dead." The force from his hand begins to crush my windpipe, but he quickly releases me, and I drop to the floor, "All hail the Queen of Asgard."

I hold my throat, gasping for air and struggling to get to my feet.

Loki simply places a foot on my shoulder and pushes me over, "You're pathetically weak, just like your Father."