Chapter 1- One Thousand Years

I smile and wave to the crowds as I quickly ride through Asgard. There are more people than usual.

Today is my 1,000th birthday. To me; it is just as any other day, to everyone else; a celebration, today, I will be sent away to prove my worth with some sort of test. To prove that I am worthy of my place on the throne- when my time comes.

Every person within the royal blood line must do this. There will be a grand celebration, followed by the test, and another celebration depending on my success. Considering I'm the best hunter in the realm, there will be another celebration.

I dismount my horse and hand her off. She seems a bit offended, but she cooperates with the stable hand and walks away.

I sling my bag over my shoulder, filled with small comforts, apples, venison, and citrus from fresh vines.

I walk through the halls and drop my bag at the large kitchen doors, knocking as I leave. I hear them open with a creek, a moment of silence, and another creak as they are shut again.

As I walk through my door, I see that all of my armor is already laid out on my bed.

I sigh and close the doors behind me. A few moments alone before I leave. A few moments before I am tested. A few moments before my life is changed.

I slide my boots on and pull the laces tight. I attach my cape to my shoulders; a long black silk, trimmed down to mid-calf. I pull on my soft gauntlet guards, followed by the dark contrasting metal. I add the final piece of pelt around my waist, another traditional piece that I had made my own.

I look into the mirror; my reflection stares back at me. She is ready for war, ebony armor with silver and white accents.

"Everything will be fine." I tell myself, "This will not change you." I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

I open my door and walk to the courtyard. The night sky is blinded by the huge bonfire. The stars of my ancestors don't shine as they regularly do.

I stay away from the fire, not wanting to be seen directly. "Princess Ivanna?" A quiet voice says.

I turn to the voice, a young girl looks at me with surprise. I squat to her level and smile, "Hello."

She giggles a little, "Hello."

"What is your name?" I ask.

Her face glows with pride. "I am Storm of the McGregor Family."

"Well, Storm, I am happy to meet you and I hope you have fun tonight." I reach out and nudge her shoulder before I stand.

I walk to my friends, who cheer as I stand among them. They pass me a large tankard filled with ale. I smile and take a hardy drink.

"To returning the same as I was!"

We slam the drinks together, sloshing ale from cup to cup. I laugh and set the mug on a nearby table.

"You are not one to pass on a drink, Ivanna." Selman says with a smile.

"And I am no fool, either. For once, I need to be collected and ready to use my head."

He shrugs, "For once."

"Do tell us, dear Ivanna, what do you expect to see on this quest?" Tait asks.

I chuckle and give my response, "I expect to see the myths from ancient times, ready to slay me where I stand. But alas, I shall triumph and be victorious. I shall be as legendary as Odin himself." I keep my face straight as they slowly process what I have said.