Chapter 4

The next day I took a trip down to the guidance office. I told them everything about Melanie. They said I did the right thing by telling them. It didn't feel right, but at let I'll know she'll be safe. They said if I find out any more that it is imperative to tell them, no matter how mad she got. And trust me, she was pretty mad already...

"I told you not to tell anyone! I'm fine! They're calling my parents now! They are going to freak on me! Do you understand they're never going to trust me again?! "

I wanted to tell her I was only trying to help and be a good friend, but all I could do was whisper "Sorry..." and walk away teary eyed.

It was harder than ever talking to guidance about this all. I was the only one that knew everything. Having to betray my promise to Melanie on not telling an adult about her problem nailed me in the heart. Sitting there choking out the truth, swallowing my tears with all my strength. Trying to keep strong, for Melanie's sake, it's harder than ever. But at least I know I did the right thing, right?

Talking to people about problems and what's on my mind is tough for me. Not my forte. Maybe I'll tell my friend's some, but not all of what's going on in my head. I just can't. Don't know why. But, I got most out to guidance, hopefully enough to keep her safe.

About a week later I went into the guidance room to pick up a permission paper and my guidance counselor stopped me.

"Addie, thank you so much for coming down the other day about Melanie. I talked to her parents about you but kept you're name anonymous, but they truly are grateful and thank you from the bottom of their hearts. You saved her life, Addie."

I'm a hero? But, how did I know how to save a life?