The Banishment

Someone shook me awake and I opened my eyes, flooded with tears. "Shh, it's okay now. You're okay". He whispered to me, cradling me in his arms. "She..." I sobbed. He rested his head on my shoulder, my palms resting on his chest. "You were screaming all night, Annie". He said. I could tell. My throat hurt. "W-Wicked...?" I stuttered, recalling the events in my dreams. He seperated from me and his eyes widened. "What did you just say?" He asked, gripping my shoulders tightly. That only made me burst out into tears. "You're scaring me now". I sobbed. "Wicked. What do you know about them?" "They kidnapped Thomas and killed my mother. Wicked. That same acronym. Isn't that on the beetle blades?" I asked. He nodded. "And the Grievers. And our supplies". "Are they the-" "Creators. Yes". He wiped away my tears with his thumb. "No more crying. Banishment starts soon". He said. "One more hug?" I asked, sniffling. He nodded and pulled me into a warm embrace. I didn't realize this before. He was hugging me. When I woke up, he was comforting me. He wiped away my tears. He- what am I saying? I don't... Like him... Do I?! "Minho..." I whispered. "Yea?" He asked. "Ben is going to die because of me". "Enough about that. Annie, don't think that way". He said sternly, pushing away. "Okay". I got up and laced up my boots. I didn't want to watch this. I didn't want someone to die because of me.

Minho and I walked over to the Doors. Many Gladers were gathered around Ben. Including Thomas. Ben was on his knees in the middle of a circle of Gladers, a leather collar being put on him by Newt. "Keepers". Alby said. Minho's hand slipped out of mine and he grabbed a knife from Alby's hands. Gally, Frypan, Winston, Zart, Clint and two others held their stakes and watched. These were all my friends. Prepared to kill their other friend. Who was prepared to kill me. Thomas slowly approached me and grabbed onto my hand, his own shaking with fear. "I don't want to see this". He said. "I don't either. I don't want to watch someone die because of me". I answered sadly. One thing was good for Ben. He would be released from this hell. But he would go through a whole other hell in the process. I don't even want to think about it. A screeching sound came from the walls and Ben began to scream, begging and begging for mercy, but they didn't listen. Minho grabbed Ben and pushed him onto the ground, cutting the ropes off of his hands. This was my fault. "Stop! Please!" Ben screamed. This was all my fault.

"NO!!" I bit my lip, shaking with fear and Thomas gripped tighter on to my hand. I was scared. He was scared. "It was the Changing! I would never! Just stop!" He cried, his eyes filling with tears. I wanted to stop this so bad, but my mouth was numb and I was frozen in fear. Immobilized. "I don't want to see this, feel this way ever again". Thomas said. "This is my fault. He is being killed because of me". He gripped on to my hand even tighter, which I didn't even know was possible. The walls were open enough for him to fit in through and the Keepers pushed him inside, as the doors opened all the way. "No!! It's him! It her! They did this! They should die!" He screamed, tears rolling down his cheeks. "He's right". I croaked quietly. Not even a glance at me. No one heard me. No one understood that he shouldn't be dying right now. "Stop!" They won't. "You're my friends!" A tear rolled down my cheek. I barely knew the guy, but this was too heartbreaking to bear. My eyes met Mihno's, his eyebrows knitted and brown eyes filled with sympathy for me. He knew what this was doing to me. He knew that I was slightly disappointed in all of my friends for doing this to one of their own. "Thomas". I said. "Thomas let go". His hand slipped out of mine and I reached up to my face to wipe away my tears. "Alright now?" He asked. "Yea". I said, sniffling out loud. He grabbed my hand again. Poor Thomas. Ben didn't deserve this. He was right, it was probably the Changing. This wouldn't have been how he acted normally. It was the disease, the Changing that drove him mad. He wasn't thinking for himself. He was being controlled by the disease. Unless- "NO!" The walls closed in on Ben. I could only see his eyes now. His red, watery eyes, filled with tears and hatred. Toward me. Toward Thomas. He had every right. We had just killed him. One last scream echoed through the Glade, and that was it. He was gone.

"Everyone get back to work". Alby ordered. How could he bear it? Shake his head and forget about it. How many friends has he banished? Was this the first time this has happened? Has he really gotten used to it? Monster. I didn't know if I should be scared, mad or sad. All those feelings washed over me, none of them dominating the other. This had to be the worst feeling ever. All the negatives combined. Thomas gave me a quick hug and headed toward the Homestead. I followed him. I needed to think. "I-" "Don't say anything". I said, interrupting him. I don't want to talk now. "I wanted to say, I'm there for you. And when ever you're scared. You can come to me, talk to me. I want us to be like we used to. Brother and sister. Friends". He explained. "I'm sorry. And thank you. I didn't know you were going to say something so kind, I shouldn't have interrupted". I said. "It's alright. I'll leave you to your thoughts. I'm going to do the same. I'm a bit emotionally unstable right now..." Thomas admitted, while I nodded, agreeing with his state of mind. "Same. Bye". I waved and opened the big doors of the Homestead and ran upstairs, avoiding the glances from the other Gladers. I guess they were used to it, but I'm not. I pushed open the doors to my room and got into a cross legged position at the end of my bed like usual. Why would they do that? I wondered, resting my chin on my fists. They killed their own friend. His screams... His tears... He... Begged. And Alby refused. He just kept pushing Ben closer to his demise. And my friends. Frypan, Clint, and... Minho. They kept pushing. They killed their friend. Tears rolled down my cheeks and I let them fall.

I couldn't imagine killing my own friend. I couldn't bear that. How did they handle it? The door creaked open and I looked up, not giving a shit that my face was red and soaked with tears. "Yea?" I asked. Minho sat down beside me and I turned away from him, looking at a Glader working in the Fields. "Look at me". Minho said. "No". I answered. "Annie". I sniffled and turned my head toward him. "What do you want?" I asked angrily. "Why are you angry with us?" "Oh shut up, you don't want to hear about my feelings". I said. "I do". He took my hand. "I- I'm not... I don't know how I'm feeling right now, Minho. I don't know if I'm sad, angry or scared. I can't figure it out". I explained, shrugging. "Why are you sad?" He stared deep into my eyes, letting me know I had his full attention. "It was heartbreaking to witness that, Minho. It was sad to watch friends push their own friends to their death. He begged for mercy and you guys kept pushing. You didn't care how much he screamed". I began to raise my voice without realizing it. "And that's why you're angry, too. You're angry because we killed our friend and you think we didn't care". I nodded. "Well I'll tell you, it took a lot of shucking guts to do that. You can't say we didn't care. Inside, we were scared and sad, just like you. We were keeping our cool for the others. I was distraught and it was truly heartbreaking, but I held it in. It took a lot of work. You can't say we didn't care. We cared, Annie, we've known for Ben for so long. He's been our friend and we had to kill him ourselves. We cared". He explained. "I'm sorry". I mumbled, looking down to my hand. "Don't be. It also took a lot of guts to stand there and watch. You're brave, Annie". "No I'm not. I'm not brave. Being brave is having the ability to step up and make a stop to it. I was frozen in fear and I couldn't say a word. I was terrified. Not brave". "We were all terrified". He said. "You're brave, Minho. I'm not. You go into the Maze every single day. You're not afraid to risk your life for us". He bit his lip and looked down. "I'm terrified of the Maze". He was obviously trying to make me feel better. "But you still go in". "I go in for everyone else. To save them. Better their lives than mine, right?" He asked. I shook my head. "No. A lot of people value your life, Minho". We stared at each other in silence. "Do you?" He asked. I looked up from my hand, to his eyes. "Yea". A small played the corners of his mouth and he got up. "Better skip breakfast. You're working at the Bloadhouse today". He said. I wrinkled my nose and stuck out my tongue. "Can't I just skip that one?" He shook his head and laughed. "No. You have to do all of them". I frowned and he outstretched a hand to help me up. I did not want to do this.

What does an angel have on his head? HALO. So, I have a bit of Writer's Block right now and I have NO idea where to start the next chapter and I am not very inspired. So this might take a few days or maybe a week max. Yep. What's Elton John's sexual orientation? "Bi" if anyone understands my referencing.