Chapter Five

Aria's POV:
         Later, when it was time for the redo of my appointment, Spencer was still there. I told my mom she had to come with me to the appointment. I needed a friend to help me, not just my mom. My mom said I couldn't but I wasn't taking "no" for an answer. When I went in the room with my mom and Spencer, the doctor looked at me, then Spencer, then back at me. Without her having to ask, I told her that this was my best friend and if she has to leave, I'm going to leave too. Dr. Stevens just nodded and motioned for us to take a seat. My mom and Spencer sat in two chairs across from the bed I was on and Dr. Stevens was in a chair to my left and their right, as if the head of an invisible table.
"So", Dr. Stevens said, "let me explain more clearly what is going on. You are in stage four, and your cancer is rapidly growing. The symptoms you have been having usually only happen when leukemia grows rapidly. This means we must start chemotherapy right away if you want to... get rid of the cancer." She brushed it off, but I knew she paused because she wanted to say "We must start chemotherapy right away if you want to live", but she wouldn't ever say that to me. "Leukemia is blood cancer", she continued. "It starts in the bone marrow, which we saw from the sample we took. We can tell that the cancer is already in most of the bone marrow in your body, and is spreading to the blood stream, like leukemia does. It can also spread to lymph nodes, spleen, liver, the CNS, and more, so we need to be extra careful and keep a good watch on your body." I nodded the whole time she talked and made a decision in my head:

I was not going to cry.
I was not going to be angry.
I was not going to blame anyone: not myself, my parents, or God.
Yes I was going to have down days. Yes things were going to be harder for me than they are for other people. But yes, I was going to get through it. I was going to beat this leukemia, no matter what it took. I was strong, I was brave, and I was going to win.

       I was allowed to go home that day, but I had to go back in two days to start chemo. I told my mom to drop me off at Ezra's on the way home. She told me I had to rest, but I insisted on spending the night there, he wouldn't mind. She finally gave in and pulled into the parking lot of his apartment. I got out of the car, telling her I was okay to walk on my own. She was hesitant, but she let me. "Love you, I'll text you later", I told her as I left the car. I shut the door and walked to the entrance. On my way up the stairs it was like nothing had even happened. I forgot all about everything and was just excited to see Ezra. Then, standing outside his door ready to knock, I remembered he didn't know. I had to tell him everything now and it was going to be hard. I took a few minutes to gather my thoughts and what I was going to say and then gently rapped on the door. Only a few seconds later, my amazing boyfriend opened the door and smiled when he saw me, but his smile faded a little when he saw that I had been crying. "What's wrong?", he asked, leading me inside and closing the door. I lost it again at that. I burst into tears and hugged him tight. "Shhh", he told me, rubbing my hair, "Just tell me what's going on." I walked over and plopped myself on his couch, still crying. He sat next to me and held me in his arms as I cried. "I...", I sniffled. "I..... I was.... this morning... diagnosed..." I burst into more tears again. "Leukemia", I sobbed and buried my face into his shirt, soaking it with tears. He started crying too, and once we were all cried out, we cuddled and watched an old black and white film together to try to get our minds off of it.
      I fell asleep during the movie, so he must have carried me back to bed because I woke next to him. He woke up, glanced at me, smiled, and closed his eyes again. I moved in towards him and hugged my arms around his middle. We decided to have a down day and spend time with each other. I was going to miss having him around all the time when I go off to college. Then it hit me. Was I going to college? I was leaving in just six days. I must not be going. What was going to happen with Spencer? She wouldn't have a roommate. She wouldn't have any friends! Anxiety was kicking in now. Ezra sat up suddenly. "Are you ok?", he asked me. I realized I was pale and sweating. "Yeah, fine", I replied. "Ok", he exhaled, obviously nervous for me. Everyone was going to be scared when anything happened to me. Having a cold will be more like being sentenced to my death. I had to be really careful with everything I did. I had researched a little bit about my disease on the way home from the hospital yesterday. Just like Dr. Stevens had said, all my symptoms were signs of radially growing leukemia, and I just so happened to be in stage four.
         Ezra and I decided to go out to breakfast together and go to the movies. Then, he made me dinner and dropped me off at home around eight. My chemotherapy started the next day, and I was really nervous. I had to do it though, so I tried not to think about it. I failed at that and couldn't sleep. I must have fell asleep at 3:00am. I had to be at the hospital at 8, had to get ready, and it took an hour to get there, so I only got three hours of sleep that night. I wondered about chemo. What was it like? Would it hurt?

Would it work?

Author's Note:
Hey! Sorry I haven't updated in a while!! But this chapter is pretty long. In the next chapter, Aria will go into more detail about the last sentence and she will do her chemo so be excited for the next chapter! It might be in a few days because it will probably be longer like this one was. Hope you're all enjoying! Please comment and vote! -Kayley♡ 1139 words