Chapter Seven

My eyes fluttered open and I looked around. I was in a hospital... Then I remembered I had my first round of chemo the day before. Did I feel any different? I concentrated to see if I could tell. I did a little bit, but not much. It's probably just the symptoms of pouring a bag of chemicals that are supposed to kill my cells into my body through a needle. At least I get to go back home today. My second round of chemo is in two weeks, long after everyone will have left for college. They are supposed to leave tomorrow at 8:00am. I'm going to miss all of them so much, especially Spencer. I wished there was I way I could go with her.
Later that day, when I was back at home, I was sitting on my bed reading. I was going to have a lot of time on my hands now that I couldn't do much anymore. I was on page 138 of a new book I had just started called "Charly" when I heard the doorbell ring. My mom was downstairs in the kitchen, so I let her go get it; she wouldn't have wanted me to get up anyway. I heard the door unlatch as she opened the door to our unexpected visitor. "Oh, hello!" I heard her say. I could make out a muffle voice saying something back to her. I could hear their footsteps going into the living room. Who could she be talking to?
      After about three more minutes, thy were still in there, having a hushed conversation that I couldn't make out. I climbed off my bed and tiptoed over to my bedroom door. I slowly turned the knob and carefully pushed it open, being sure it wouldn't creak and give me away. I crept down the stairs and peeked over the railing overlooking our living room. The two were facing away from me and the unknown man was in a chair with a tall enough back that I couldn't even see the back of his head. Then my mom started talking in her hushed, stern time again. "You have to understand that she has cancer. She won't be able to keep up as well. She is a very independent girl and thinks she can still do everything on her own but she can't." I cannot believe think is what my own mom thinks. "Yes, Mrs.Montgomery. I understand", replied the visitor. I could recognize that soothing voice anywhere. It was Ezra. I wanted to jump up and hug him, but they couldn't know that I had been listening. I quietly tiptoed back up the stairs and into my room, carefully closing the door behind me. I crawled back into my bed as if I hadn't even moved. A few moments later, I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. I turned my body to the wall so he wouldn't know I was expecting him. There was a knock on my door. I turned my head to look towards it and said "Come in" in my raspy, tired tone. He gently turned the knob and opened the door so that I could see him. "Ezra!", I exclaimed, super excited to see him. I tried to hop out of my bed but Ezra, knowing that I shouldn't sit up fast or even get up at all, ran over and stopped me. "Hi baby", he said lowering me back into bed and kissing my forehead. "Hi", I said. He was standing up, looking over me. I scooted over towards the wall and looked up at him longingly, wanting he to come lay with me, which he did. He wrapped his arms around me and we cuddled for a while, him playing with my hair. "I love you", he said. "I love you, too", I responded, and dozed off.

Authors Note:
Sorry for the super short chapter! And it was boring. I just wanted to update today because I won't be able to all weekend. Please comment and vote! Thank you all for all the live and support I have been getting with this! Have a happy and safe Halloween! -Kayley♡ 700 words