Chapter 14 - My father

Jackie was sitting in the office contemplating the last few days. It had been busy as she and Adelbert worked on the documents he had completed. There were some which were going to be a pain if they did see the light of day. However being that Herman wasn't available, well neither of them, it simplified the issue in some cases. A number of the documents related to turning the company over to Herman the third in the case of her husband dying. Since Herman's son was currently a prisoner he couldn't take over until the trial was over.

If he was convicted then he couldn't take over which would mean that by default she would take over. To the best of her knowledge there wasn't anything documented anywhere which said otherwise. She had very carefully searched all the records on his computer. That didn't even begin to include all the various hidden files she knew about or had found. Just too hopefully ensure that she had found as much as possible she had brought in a specialist as well. He was very highly recommended and from what she had found was completely neutral.

He had worked for one of the various intelligence agencies a number of years ago. His specialty was dissecting computers, locating bugs, and locating hidden secrets. The first day in the office he had found a number of hidden recording devices and located the system they were connected to. That had been very interesting since he had been recording things for years. It was going to take some time to review many of the recordings to see what secrets she might find.

Jacqueline shook her head to chase those thoughts away. As it was she had just returned from the hospital and even with the best medical care it wasn't looking good. He had been removed from the induced coma before the first set of tests and he was still comatose. They had just run another series of tests and it wasn't looking good. With all of his medical issues they weren't even giving him a 50/50 chance of waking up. It was more like 10/90. His liver was still having major issues. They wanted to perform the bypass surgery as well as an angiocath to open up a number of clogged veins. His kidneys weren't doing well either. Effectively virtually every bodily system of his was having issues.

She took a sip of her tea and looked at the far wall. The worst part was she needed a few more weeks to solidify her control of the company. On top of that Adelbert had informed her that a lawsuit was in the process of working through the world court. It was from the Whitewater Pride and demanding compensation for Libel and slander due to her husband. Even with him in a coma what he had said was a matter of public record. In this case she had a feeling it was Raven Whitewater feeling rather grumpy about the entire mess. That she didn't blame Raven for. It was still annoying.

Thankfully Adelbert was going to be over shortly so she could discuss a number of things with him. Jackie was going to see if they could negotiate something quiet to resolve the issue it would be for the best. She was willing to meet them somewhere near the middle to make this go away. If it hung over the company it could delay or damage her takeover. That would not be a good thing whatsoever.

Jackie had also received a copy of the message from Herman to his father. It had taken a great deal of will power not to block the playing of it. She finally decided she had to be the better and allowed it to play. As she had been thinking about it she decided she needed to play the sympathetic mother, or in this case step mother.

~~~

When Holcum introduced his father every eye in the room focused on the Col. They didn't even need to look all that carefully to see the family resemblance between the two men. Leo gave everyone a polite nod. "At ease Cadets and as Cadet Whitewater mentioned I am just here as a visitor." He took the seat offered and settled down to watch what was being taught.