Chapter 2 - The Admiral

Daichi was not feeling very happy and he glanced over at his mate Ayaka and yipped in frustration. "So what do you think we should do with this insolent brat?" He was looking at a preliminary report both of them had been sent by the Sergeant Instructor. He didn't really need a Controller since he wasn't a were-creature but the military had decided to standardize it as best possible. He wasn't going to complain about having his mate aboard the Academy station. Even if it hadn't been required all non-cadet's could have their mates or spouses aboard since it was a very large station. All told at any one time there were a good three thousand cadets aboard. Added to that was the various instructors, maintenance staff, officers, and other support staff which added several thousand more.

She yipped back at him and shook her head. "I took a few moments to do a basic search of Cadet Williamson and he does have some very good scores on the tests. His family was heavily impacted by were-creatures during the wars of unification." She leaned back in her chair and took a sip of her tea. "As far as what to do with the young man, for the moment I would have to say let the Admiral deal with him. Keep an eye on him and any reports on how he is doing before we recommend termination of his admission. Sometimes such comments are simply a reflection of the parents. Give him a chance before we slap the crap out of him." She had reviewed the footage and was not pleased whatsoever. She was trained to look at both sides though.

Daichi leaned back and crossed his arms and stared at the screen as he was listening. "I am hesitant to do that since his family has a long history of specism. I am not sure if his mindset can be changed. Send him to the station Mental Hygiene department and see what sort of report they come up with. Once we have that we can both have a talk with the two Were-cat's and the Admiral." He entered his recommendations and sent the message.

~~~

When he had been told to release Williamson he did. It had taken him some time and contact with Mila to fully calm down. The hand which had been holding Williamson off the ground had shifted somewhat and there were obvious claws as well as fur coating the back of his hand. Once he had stood behind Mila and rested his hands on her shoulders the claws slowly shrank and the fur vanished. For some added help he rested his nose in her hair and inhaled.

Before he turned to get changed he glanced at Sgt. Miller and she almost imperceptibly shook her head. She was going to talk to the two of them later about what had happened. She was not pleased but it wasn't with Whitewater at all. It was that the screening had missed Williamson's bias against the supernatural.

As he was getting dressed he couldn't help but glance over at Mila and smile slightly. She was a lovely woman as far as he was concerned. When she had accepted his request to be his mate it had been the best day of his life. Yes there was the whole soul mate thing but in many cases that was with werewolves and the other Were species. For the were-cats it was more being compatible with each other. They could recognize who might be the best for them. It didn't mean they didn't screw up but for the most part their mating's were far stronger than human mating's.

He pulled the suit on and it was a once piece coverall with a seal up the front. It didn't have the plumbing connections of the active service suits but it did resemble them. Since the services had been unified under one department for all Officer Cadets they started out with the midnight black. It was the color of space and had a thin band of gold at the wrists and on their shoulders. It showed they were cadets and in training. For the two of them it showed their pride and his choker was designed to mesh with the collar of the suit. For Mila the Pride necklace adhered to the suit to show what she was. After pulling the suit on and then the boots he took a moment to ensure everything was fitting correctly.

For the two of them the suits were special since they were designed to allow them to take both the hybrid human/cat form and their full cat form. Since they were Ligers the suits tended to turn into a sort of chest and side armor in their full form. He was simply too large for the suit to cover most of him in either form. For the hybrid form it was a sort of singlet which covered the important bits. At some point he would be showing the other cadets his other form but for the moment he didn't want to. The last thing he wanted was for them to fear him.