Chapter Twenty Four- Kwame

I was pissed in my own right

I was pissed in my own right. I had been trying to wean myself away from my pack of friends that I had maintained for God knows how long. They kept coming back, fighting more fiercely each time.

I got home around ten thirty at night and Khairi was there waiting in the den. He wouldn't have to leave for college until about a week after we started school.

"Someone pissed in your lemonade?" He asked obnoxiously.

"No, it's nothing." Nothing, other than my best friend is trying to set me up with a girl that I don't want.

"Okay, whatever you say." He kicked his feet up on the couch. "Did Nate finally call you?" he called after me and I froze.

"Did you tell him where I was?" I asked and he nodded. "Well I wish you wouldn't have." I muttered under my breath.

"He's your best friend right? So build a bridge and get over it," Khairi demanded nonchalantly as he flipped through the television channels.

"Sure. Whatever you say," I shrugged walking to my room. I wasn't in the mood to argue with my brother today. I had approached the first step when Khairi called me again.

"Hand me my Pill," he commanded reaching out for his stereo. I rolled my eyes and chucked it at him after picking it up from the counter. "Kwam, seriously, who took a pass in your lemonade? Wylan was that angry with you?"

"Shut up. Don't do it, Mr. Friend Zone." I was searching for something that I could eat angrily when I gave up and started toward the staircase again. Where was a bag of chips when you desperately needed them?

Oh, I forgot, Kunle Okari never bought any junk food. Maybe I could angrily much on baby carrots later.

Kasim was in my room propped on the bed playing video games. I could tell because the door was wide open and the volume was up. I was about to go get onto him when Khairi grabbed me by the shoulder.

"And what's that supposed to mean? Are you alright?" I shook my head. "Well don't cry, that's gay," he smiled pushing me gently. I punched him choking back a chuckle.

"Shut up you idiot. I don't know how to explain it." I began, staring at the staircase.

"Well, you're whipped, really badly, for this girl who you thought was crazy like a year ago," he said, and I smiled.

"I still think she's crazy, Khai, don't doubt that." I walked over to the fridge and started hunting for something to fill my stomach or at least scratch the surface. My hunger was unbearable.

"I think, you two like each other, and need to cut the childish bull—" he turned around, "Hey Mom." She gave a curt nod in his direction. I hadn't even noticed her.

"What was it you were saying, Khairi?" She raised an eyebrow, and he shrugged.

"You might be a better fit for this one than I am, Mom." Khairi slapped my shoulder, whispering, "Good luck bro," before he disappeared upstairs, and my mom took his place leaning against the marble counter.

"You were talking about girls?" she chuckled as I gave a bashful nod. "Stop living in the past and go with the flow, son." If only I knew which flow to go with. My mom startled me as she continued on, "Is this about Lorelei?"

I sighed. "Partially Mama," I replied.

"Well, if it helps then I approve of her, but you need to wait on dating, ọmọ." She hugged me tightly. I had a strange lump sitting in my throat, and I thought back to my conversation with Nate.

It could be worse Kwam...it could be much worse.

My phone vibrated, and I looked down at it. A message had come through from Lorelei. "You want to come over?" she asked.

I found myself upstairs playing Queen as I thought over everything. I was frustrated, deeply frustrated. There was no formula for this problem, and my mother's words weren't helpful at all.

It was the pleasure principle playing itself out in my head, and I felt as if I was willing to give up everything for that bit of happiness. I resolved I would work on some homework to take my mind off things when Nate called again.

"What's up?" I answered waiting for him to stop shuffling on the other end.

"You going to get with her?" he asked.

"Man, can I just think about it after homecoming?"

"Why not take her to homecoming and see if she'll lead you to the Promised Lands?"

"I told Wylan that I'd take her, plus, I don't want to."

"Then tell her something came up. You need to talk to her anyways. She's making trouble in paradise, Kwam."

My brow furrowed instantly. "What are you—" I started to ask.

He interrupted me. "Hey let's cut the BS, Khai told me you were over at her house today, and that's fine, but like I said, you need to talk to your girl." He paused before sighing deeply. "I screwed up, big time."

"Nate, is this concerning Farah?" I had an inkling it was, but I wanted to guide the conversation.

"Yeah, that's why I need you to—" he replied.

I turned the tables on him then. "You don't need to explain anything to me, and I am sure I don't need to explain anything to Wylan. You're wasting time on the phone with me when you could be facing responsibility with your girl. I'm here as your friend, but I'm not putting Wylan in the way of mediating for you and Farah when the both of you are equally capable."

He sighed. "Can I explain myself?"

"Only if you can tell your girl the same thing," I replied. "Don't roll your eyes at me either, I'm not the one who screwed up remember?"

"I was in the moment, and I may have been a little—"

"You were inebriated...continue."

"I was piss drunk to be exact, but I kissed someone and almost went to town until I got a gentle reminder that I was in a relationship." He said.

"When did this happen, and with whom?" I questioned him.

"Farah's birthday party...her cousin."

I shook my head. "I'm sure you already feel bad, but seriously you're an idiot."

"I'm aware...Wylan walked in on my predicament, and I need—" I knew where this was going.

"What did you tell her when she walked in?" I asked him.

He snickered as if his response had amused him. "There's no need in telling her what happened, I've been drinking, so she won't hold it against me anyways."

Frankly, I was feeling that he might have deserved whatever he got from there just for him saying that. "She's Farah's best friend Nate. I don't see why she wouldn't tell her that her boyfriend sucked face with her cousin."

"Whose side are you on?" he yelled indignantly.

"No sides have been taken. I'm just saying that maybe it isn't wise to get piss drunk at parties and kiss your girlfriend's cousin and almost run the bases with her."

He coughed. "So what do I do?"

I pondered it. Apologize was a definite. "You should go and apologize, but you should do it in person. Don't be stupid and just call. You've screwed up big time, and she deserves better. You need to be completely honest."

"Alright, Kwame I will."

I needed a new best friend.