Chapter Twelve- Kwame

7. Do you guys like the laws that are given at the end of every two Wylan chapters? 

8. If you don't, what can I do to improve on them?

Once I got to lunch, I frowned as I noticed that Nate had bailed out with his newfound lover—Farah Tien

Once I got to lunch, I frowned as I noticed that Nate had bailed out with his newfound lover—Farah Tien. He was sitting with her and making a show, which got a hearty laugh from her.

I sat down shrugging as I opened this month's edition of the school newspaper. I was reading a column called "Let's Just Be Real" and the anonymous author was giving their opinion on social standards of this generation. I took a sip of my water and continued just as someone sat across from me. All I could see was their lavender sweater and caramel skin.

"Hey, um, I wanted to-" she began.

"Apologize maybe?" I asked without looking her in the eye. I knew it bothered her whenever I did this because it seemed like she was insignificant. I wanted her to feel that way. I was studying her.

That's why she took a long, painful hiatus before she spoke again. "I guess so. Maybe I overreacted, but I was talking to my sister, and you were just being rude," she complained.

"Was it important? Even if it was, which I'm sure it wasn't, that doesn't negate the fact that you were just as rude as you claim I was. I mean were you not?"

"It could've been but you interrupted me, and that's not the point, Okari." She ran a hand through her hair.

"Wylan, don't whine about the circumstances, it makes you sound pretentious," I observed as I kept reading.

She snatched the newspaper from my hands. "So you can deny me respect, read my work, and call me pretentious? What do you title yourself as?" she asked, crossing her arms over her chest, most likely scowling.

"Honest and practical." I looked up only to find her smiling. "What are you smiling for?" I chuckled and her brow furrowed as if she was deeply confused.

"Nothing," she shook her head.

I propped up my arms on the table, leaned in, and looked at her. "What made you smile Wylan?" I could feel a light smirk tugging at my features as our eyes met, and she did the unthinkable— stood up and left.

She didn't say a word. She just stood up and walked away. Rhett dragged himself to the table and watched her go. "What was that all about— lover's quarrel?" he asked as he nodded in her direction.

"Nothing, we were just talking about the project for English and she needed to go talk to her aunt," I replied sighing at the realization that she had taken my newspaper.

"Who's her aunt?" Rhett asked.

"She's counselor for this year's senior class." We headed back to math and Wylan sat in front of me, making it her business to ignore any and everything that I asked her. We were on our way out of class when Lorelei Matthews bounced over to my friends and me.