Epilogue

I was leaving finally

I was leaving finally. Maybe I could escape the memories of the girl I let go, and I could move on, right?

That wasn't how it worked. It was agonizing to think that I had to leave now. I hadn't explained any of my feelings. Simply telling your best friend, who you were sure you wanted something deeper with, that you hoped college was "a great experience" for them wasn't going to cut it. I wanted college to be a great experience featuring me.

What do I do now?

She'd left three days before I did, and I was sure that we were going to schools on two opposite sides of the country. There was no chance of us linking back anytime soon unless my life became a Lifetime movie.

I wandered through the airport, waiting patiently in various lines as I sorted through life.

I had her phone number, but the issue was too heavy for me to call. I could just imagine making painful small talk and then whispering, "Oh, and did I ever tell you that I love you?"

In what society did that work? I know, one hidden in the deepest crevices of nowhere.

We had talked two to three times over the phone the whole summer and the conversations had been all of five minutes long when I conglomerated them. She was on the subway in DC. I was boarding a plane to New York. Life was in the way.

Apparently, she'd gone home during my time relaxing in one of my father's homes in New York with Khairi. I had no worries other than those that centered on her. I tried calling, and got voicemail ninety-nine percent of the time, but when we did talk I felt barred. I wasn't sure what to say, so we just sat in silence most times, awkwardly recounting what was going on until someone made up a reason to leave.

I couldn't bring myself to make a confession that deep over the phone. I told myself I would get back home in time to see her again, so I could finally relieve my mind. I waited too long.

I moped my way to the bench as I waited, checking my ticket time. It was currently nine o'clock, so I opted for some food. Sitting in the food court area was probably the highlight of my morning. I'd left early to avoid my mother and father, but now all I thought about was Wy.

My head ached and cramped as I attempted forcing her out, and even then, I was without resolve. Ten forty five rolled around, and I went back to waiting. Only fifteen minutes, right? Someone took a seat beside me, while speaking on the phone.

"Well you know what, I don't care. I stand on my decision. I wanted you gone. You can stay there too. All I thought was that you'd at least give me the ticket back before you left. I need to get back soon, and I can't do that now can I?"

Ten more minutes and my flight would be boarding. The girl stood and began pacing. I lazily accounted for her, and when I saw her face, I almost stopped breathing.

Her eyes connected with mine, and she immediately hung up. "Wylan," I boomed, as she stood frozen before me, teetering slightly in the shoes she wore.

"Kwame?" she gasped, with tears in her eyes.

"I thought you left three days ago," I explained.

She shook her head, still holding the phone in her hands. "No, I didn't. Terrence, my godmother's nephew, took both tickets, and bailed on me." She looked at me. "I've missed you. I'm so sorry we didn't talk more." I shushed her while pulling her into an embrace.

"I'm so happy to see you, Olson."

"I can say the same, Okra." She squeezed me as she hugged me tighter. I took a deep breath.

"I need to tell you something," I began as the board interrupted me. My flight had just landed.

"Is that your flight? You can just call me later, okay?" I shook my head. No, this was something to say in person.

"No, I—" she looked at me expectantly. "I love you okay, Olson? I have a flight to catch, but I—" she interrupted me this time, and planted one.

I felt that kiss even after it ended, and it was everything I could've asked for. I spun her around just because of how ecstatic she'd made me. "Friends don't do that," I said short of breath, and she nodded.

"I've been waiting on that for so long, the cliché moment where I kissed at guy at the airport like Whitney Houston on the Bodyguard. I love you too, Okra. I have loved you for a long time."

I was astonished. "Since when," I asked. She shrugged. "Can I kiss you again?"

"No, get your butt on that plane!" she demanded just as they announced the last call for passengers on my flight. Wylan followed and I stopped at the door.

"What school did you settle on?"

She rolled her eyes. "Harvard, so I can visit on weekends. Now go Okra, daylight is wasting."

I stumbled to my seat, wringing my hands happily, as I thought about the way it felt to kiss her, how my arms encircled her body. I had to retrain myself to breathe. Right as I started to settle in I got one last text message from Wylan.

"I never knew you had such soft lips. Have a good flight, Okra, and I hope you get jet lag."

I laughed at the text, and looked out of the window as if I could still see her. I took a deep breath, leaning my head against the seat. I began thinking about what just happened.

I kissed her. She loves me. I love her.

 I love her