Chapter Eleven- Wylan

5. What are some of the biggest questions you have at the moment when it comes to this story?

6. Do you have a favorite moment so far?

It was a Monday, but it wasn't your usual Monday

It was a Monday, but it wasn't your usual Monday. It wasn't the type where I wanted to slap people because it seemed that my hand and someone's cheek could make magic. I thought Mondays got such a bad rap considering how this one was going, but the then the bell rang.

Everyone was anxious to get to second period. That rarely ever happened in my high school. I imagined that it rarely ever happened in any high school.

I was on my way to my ELA class, and I was dreading it as I always did. Something about the atmosphere made me moody and as soon as I took a seat, I began to shut everyone out. I had inserted headphones and pulled out the textbook. I loved reading and writing, but there was more to English than reading and writing.

I was disinterested in hearing people ramble on abstract and broad speculations as to what an author may have been saying. If the curtains were blue, couldn't they just be blue? Maybe the author's favorite color was periwinkle, and they just wanted the curtains to match their bedroom walls. Said author usually was dead and had been dead for some time.

We were annotating articles, which injured me even more because I wrote for the school newspaper last semester. I did not want to annotate because it opened doors and windows. "I want you all to take an assigned article and evaluate if the writer had a proper interpretation of the poems I'm about to assign you. I'm giving two people the same poems and articles, every pair will work together and summarize why they felt the author of the article did or didn't understand what they were analyzing. Then I would like for you to do a summary with your given partner identifying the purpose and mechanisms used to achieve it or why you agree that the evaluation you read was correct."

I sighed as I saw she had chosen articles from the school newspaper that the editor archived under the opinion editorials. I couldn't bear the thought of butchering two birds with such a blunt stone. To my surprise, she had assigned me my own article. I raised an eyebrow as she passed. She handed them out and posted the list of partners on the board. She paired me with Nate, and Farah with Kwame. Why is it always me?

Nate walked over and sat down, flipping his dark douche quiff. The pencil he had lodged in his hair flew out and smacked me. I wasn't sure how he had managed it since he had very sleek hair.

He was an idiot, but he was bearable, for the sake of my friend. "Asian Fire has arrived," he announced as he smirked smugly.

I looked at him blankly. "If you're going to refer to yourself in third person, at least give yourself a clever alias. Asian Fire is so elementary."

He blinked at me and was about to argue until Farah interrupted us. "Wy, can I talk to you for a sec?" she whispered and I nodded as I stood up and walked into the hall with her.