Chapter Fifteen- Kwame

I would've sworn that my brother was the most arrogant person I knew

I would've sworn that my brother was the most arrogant person I knew. We both knew it, and the fact was something we all settled for. My father instilled it in us at young ages. Khairi's arrogance was just more appealing.

Meeting Alex moved him closer up to the status of 'Saint' in my eyes.

I had met Wylan at Oliver's expecting a one-on-one, and for a second, I tried to ignore the boy who had walked in with her. I almost thought he was her boyfriend. I had never seen him around, so the possibilities were endless as to how the two knew each other.

What was I supposed to ask, "Hey Wylan, who's your guy friend that you brought to our unofficial date?"

I felt possessive. Not in a belligerent form of possession, but still I wanted her attention to myself. In all truth, I was a very passive person, and my words had always been much more damaging than any punch I would throw. My father taught me that skill.

After a series of awkward exchanges, I ended up seated across from Alex with Wylan between the two of us. She quietly sipped a hot chocolate while reading a book I bought her earlier.

Alex had been poking Wylan for about five minutes. "What do you need, Babe? I'm reading." I heard her say nonchalantly as she flipped another page.

"I thought he was your brother," I asked, raising an eyebrow, and she took a long sip while staring me in the eye.

"Why does that concern you, Okari?" she asked with a smirk on her face.

"No reason, I just-"

"It was a joke Kwame, calm down," she assured me as she leaned over and rested a reassuring hand on my shoulder. She looked furious, and her brow furrowed. The gentleness was surprising.

"She calls people certain names depending on what year they are in high school," Alex interjected. "She called me a 'fetus' all freshmen year."

"Te amo, Alexis," she mumbled, wrapping her arms around his neck and frowning.

"Wylan, what did I tell you about that?"

"I don't recall. Do you not want my love Alexis?" She grinned as she went back to her book.

"Love is kind, Wylan," he replied.

"I'm kind. One of a—"

"Wrong," he interrupted.

"That isn't the point, Alexis! Let me be me." I stared at her as she did this before she turned on me. "Hi, Kwame," she leaned in as if to make it evident that she was no longer paying her 'brother' any attention.

"So, where was he the other day?" I asked and she raised an eyebrow.

"When you met Ty?" I nodded as Alex interjected.

"He met Tyra? When was this?"

We both looked at him. "That's a story for another day, Babe. Now where do I need to drop you off, Merriam's house?" Wylan asked as he shook his head.