Chapter 37: A Treasured Memory

Start from the beginning

"Attacks?"

"They believe you were being controlled, that you were not yourself."

"What happened??? Did I hurt them? Are they okay?" Her main concern is of others, rather than herself.

"They're exquisite as always." I roll my eyes, must she be so selfless? She should care for her own wellbeing for once. "The main concern is for you, my dear."

She sighs, "so all I have to do is wake up right?"

"They believe that you may still be out of your mind when you wake."

"Then what do I do?"

Her question catches me off guard. What do we do? What did they expect me to do? I could try.... I put my hands on her shoulders placing her directly in front of me.

"Wha-" she begins, but I silence her.

"Stay still." I command and she rolls her eyes in a playful manner I stand back and mutter, "show me your true form."

She transforms, in front of my eyes. Fire surrounds her body while water wraps it. Vines entangle her legs and wind circles her waist. Her eyes are the bright glow my brother had spoken of, it's beautiful. She certainly does not look like a mortal.

I close my eyes and open them again and her form returns to normal. "So?" She asks.

"You're beautiful." Is what I manage to say. I regret the words immediately, hoping she would not rid of me from her mind.

Instead she laughs, "what did you see?"

"Your powers, your eyes. The..." What's the word? "non-human version of you."

She purses her lips together and nods as if she understood what word I was thinking of. "A monster?" She nods as if she was accepting some ridiculous fact. She bites her lip then looks down, averting from my gaze.

A monster? Has her child memory damaged the beautiful image of herself? Is this what people allow her to believe? Rage fills my lungs and I grit my teeth. She certainly is no monster. I quickly calm my self, keeping my control. I must not scare her away, she has yet to see me truly furious.

"A goddess." I correct her, rising her chin in my hand. Her vulnerability is no doubt at it's peak now. I could take advantage of her right at this moment, but I choose not.

She looks into my eyes, smiling as if she's never been told such a thing. How could something so amazingly brilliant go unpraised?

"Well, I can't be like that forever." She changes the subject, something she is very skilled at.

"I have no other solution, but to keep occupied here until you are completely mortal again."

She nods in understanding while wiping a stray tear away, "there's not much to keep us occupied here. Just a life time of memories."

"Show me then."

MADDIE'S POV

"Show you what?" I laugh.