I like

Inspired by "I like" from Florilegium. You asked what I like; here's my answer.

I like those songs that have such a happy melody, yet can make you depressed just thinking about them, even if you hardly know the lyrics. I like sunsets, and I like poetry, and I like writing across the lines of notebook paper instead of on them. I like the song Polaroid by Imagine Dragons, and similes and metaphors, and oxymorons—which I use quite frequently—and I like all types of figurative language. I like half moons, and jogging under them, and I like talking to someone at 2am because I am an insomniac, and I cannot stand to be alone with my thoughts. But no; this is about what I like, so I'll tell you what I like.

I like not capitalizing my "I"s, even though it is most certainly grammatically incorrect, and I like rebelling against nothing in particular, although I realize it is stupid. But I like being able to say that I rebelled against something, because I'm obviously not going to rebel against anything or anyone important. Or maybe I will; who knows? I don't, and I do not like mysteries. But no; this is about what I like, so I'll tell you what I like.

I like lists, and depth of thought, and keeping notes I've received, just for the sake of keeping them. I like grass, and I especially like it in the backyard of my grandma's house—where I grew up—and I like the old, rusty swing set that is still there today. Or maybe it isn't. I can't remember, and I wish that wasn't something I'd even have to consider remembering, because it should never have changed and that swing set should always be there, and I do not like my memory, and I do not like change. But no. This is about what I like.

I like emotion, and uncontrollable laughter, and smiles and tears. I like fights and screaming till your voice is only a whisper, and I like heartfelt hugs and carnivals, and long car rides to nowhere in particular. I like that moment when all you can do is laugh because you realize that what you just said makes absolutely no sense.

I like zodiac signs, and I the moon and the stars. I like big cities, and skyscrapers, and neon lights, and getting homesick the next day. I like missing someone or something, because missing them means you care, and I like caring. I like it a lot.

I like dreaming, and idealizing my future, and being what I like to call an "idealistic realist"... I like when my words directly contradict eachother. I like Netflix, the color yellow, music, violin, and the piano. I like being the different one, and I'd like it if you would come be different with me.

I like indie music and Melanie Martinez, and pop and rap, but I despise hip-hop and country. But no; this is about what I like, so I'll tell you what I like. I like catfish, and sweets, and roller coasters that would make most throw up. I like speaking Spanish, and I like hanging out with my friends, and I like complementing perfect strangers. I like books, and sandcastles, and snow cones, and warm weather. I like wearing oversized hoodies with tight pants, and messy buns, and tired smiles.

I like inspiration, and 2am; powerful words, and a careful analysis on whether I should swear or not. I like fan fiction, cereal, going to church, and family... I like that optimistic feeling that I get while listening to pop music at sunrise. I like long, flowing dresses with long sleeves, and high necklines, and I like jewelry and makeup, and pageants. I like flower crowns, and perfumes, and hair in two French braids with a part down the middle. I like hand-holding, and cuddling, and warm hugs, and anger.

I like thinking for long periods of time, and staring at nothing in particular, and I like saying what I think—which is something that I never do. And I hate that I never do it, because I simply can't. But no; this is about what I like. So I like long eyelashes, and dandelions, and wishes, and the color blue, and I like this book. I like how terrible this chapter is, and I hate how despite the previous fact, I am still insecure about this. But no; this is about what I like, so I'll tell you, whoever's reading this, what I like. I like you. So I ask you now: what do you like?