Take My Hand

"Hold my hand," Cas softly says; not in a demanding way, just one they both understand. Like a language of their own, like the glances they share, and the way their lips brush, and their toes shuffle, and as they brush through each other's hair or squeeze their hand at movies is something they both understand.

Dean follows through and gently slips his hand into Cas', his heart hammering against his rib cage. He could feel his cheeks flush - maybe from the hot weather, maybe from the feeling of love from Cas.

They're sitting by the waters edge on a fallen tree, Fall has come and the ground is muddy with the rising and falling of the river and brown to orange leaves that scatter the State. The calmness is as refreshing as a shower after a fight, such as is the feeling of a fight still going through their veins.

Dean sighs. He doesn't mean for it to be as loud as it is but Dean doesn't care because it's lost in the breeze and free to the atmosphere again.

"You're everything to me, Cas," Dean whispers after staring out at the water for a minute.

Their hands tighten a little due to this statement, this confession. Cas turns his head around from where he was looking at trees swaying.

They lock gazes and Dean holds his breath. Cas was blissfully beautiful and everyday he wanted Cas to know that, if only the coward within him snuck away once again to leave him be. Leave him to verbalise his feelings. "I mean it."

Bright blue eyes soften as lips twitch in the corner to a small smile. "Me too, Dean," he simply replies in a timid voice, "you're everything."

-

When they're lying down in each other's arms later that day - Cas up against the arm of the couch with Dean between his legs and hands soothing over Castiel's thighs comfortingly; Dean is tired and almost asleep listening to the sound of Cas' heart beating - Sam silently pads through to the 'Pod' as they called it. A collective place to lie back and immerse themselves in fictional media.

Sam stops in the doorway, not wanting to interrupt the cute little scene before him. Cas is stroking through one side of Dean's hair and humming Hey Jude to him.

And something in Sam breaks. He doesn't want to cry, God damn it, but his brother and best friend have found each other. As cheesy as it sounds he believes it's the best thing that's ever happened to all three of them.

He stands there, aware of how creepy it is, just observing their peacefulness with each other. He opens his mouth to say something but he closes it again and folds his arms, smiling down at them.

"...Samuel, I suggest you tell me why you're in here," the deep but quiet sound of Cas' hushed tone comes around before he slowly looks back to Sam who his frozen.

"I-I didn't, I didn't mean to- I thought-"

"You know," Cas says, still pushing his fingers through the porcupine dirty blonde hair Dean has, "I don't think Dean would approve of you seeing him so open and vulnerable like this."

"I know," Sam deflatedly says, "but I'm happy for him. And for you. You know...I want something like this, what you guys have its something I could never find but you just have it. It's nothing short of a profound mess of feelings and sacrifice between you two and now...he's asleep in your lap and you're talking to me like I'm your brother-in-law in domestic bliss."

"Speaking off," Cas grunts, slightly turning his body to Sam more.

Sam's eyes widen. He wasn't expecting this.

A silver ring comes from where Cas had been searching through his coat pockets. The Angel looks up innocently with an adorable grin and holds up the ring for Sam to look at.

"D-Do you think he'll like it?"

Sam sighs and closes his eyes for a moment, shaking his head with his lips spread into a wide beam of sunshine and happiness. He thumbs at the ring before carefully handing it back. "I think he'll love it."