Part 25

I updated two days ago so don't skip part 24!

Beware of sexual content. Don't say I didn't warn you.

25. Seth

"What exactly did my mother talk to you about?" The question comes naturally as I slide into the driver seat of my car. Arya shifts uncomfortably next to me, shutting her own door. Even more curiosity wells up inside me at the look on her face.

"She didn't really tell me anything..." But that wasn't the whole story. Arya sucks her bottom lip between her teeth and absentmindedly starts chewing on it. Simultaneously she starts picking at her fingernails.

Now this looks like bad news.

"What did she tell you?" Arya shoots me a pleading look. "I'm sorry. I know this sucks but please tell me. She's my mother after all. I need to know if she told you something valuable."

Something valuable. I sound like my father.

Arya stays silent as I pull out of the driveway, leaving everything behind. My mind spins, the conversation I just had with my father infiltrating my mind like molasses. Almost automatically I reach for the Aspirin, that I know I left in the small department in the door to my left. I pop it into my mouth, swallowing it dry.

"There's a pre-nup," Arya finally concludes, rubbing her palms against her bare legs. "She wanted to show me it."

"I know about that." My eyes flicker back to her thighs where her dress was riding up just enough.

Arya nods and folds her hands in her lap, eyes focused on the road ahead.

"Well I didn't read it." There's a certain bitterness in her voice that I know won't lead to anything good. "There's something else, though. Look, I didn't pry. I didn't want to hear it all but from what I gathered; your mother is still infatuated with your dad. She would do anything to protect him. She thinks she owes him something. There were newspaper articles and..."

I know what's coming now. I can't believe my mother wanted to tell Arya about all of this. She hadn't even told me.

"A police file?" My question surprises her, I can tell.

"You know about that?"

The traffic light ahead of us turned green and I push down on the gas. I twist the steering wheel a little too forcefully and send us both flying to the right as I make a turn.

"They were barely ever home and I was curious." I glance sideways at Arya. Her eyes are curious instead of judgmental. "It's a long story. I found out when I was... fourteen I think. Yeah, must have been then. My mother is not exactly a debutante, you know? Her parents were crackheads, always in trouble with the law. She dropped out of high school at fifteen."

I pause for a moment to take a breath and look around. We were at the woods. Only a couple more minutes and we would be at Sam's home. I'm not ready to go there yet.

"You wanna go for a walk?" I don't give her time to respond and pull over the car instead.

Pulling the keys from the ignition, I turn and grab Arya's coat from the backseat. We both leave the car and I quickly jog around the car to meet her. I wrap the coat around her and she slips her arms into the sleeves, cuddling into the thick material. Before she can create more distance between us, I touch my palm to her face and kiss her full lips.

Those lips will be the death of me... And that dress is driving me insane. Red, tight and short. A dangerous combination. For a split second my mind flashes back to the first time I ever laid eyes on Arya. I remember exactly what she was wearing. Tight jeans, striped fitted shirt and sneakers. I also remember exactly what I thought of her back then.