ShiJyuu-Shichi ~ Honesty

47- Honesty

- - - - - -

"What the hell, Itachi!"

Sasuke and Sayuri had simultaneously yelled out at the Uchiha as he stood from a distance. Once again, Sasuke had been tied up to a tree by Kakashi, though this time Sayuri had joined in against her will. They were tied on opposite sides of the tree so that they weren't facing each other. Well, at least they didn't have to look at one another.

Kakashi was already crouched down. He lowered himself onto the ground, letting only his feet and knees support him. In a way, he was sitting as if he were a frog, only his elbows were resting on his knees as his hands supported his chin. "By the looks of things between you two..."

"What?" Sayuri scoffed.

"You've managed to end your rivalry, yet you both have problems that come by quite frequently," he looks from Sasuke to Sayuri, then continues. "And I guess Sasuke's badmouth triggers it-"

Sasuke cut him off. "What the hell's that supposed to mean?"

"Sasuke, you really need to learn how to keep your bad comments to yourself. That's why you both keep fighting."

"How's that supposed to help? Sayuri's stupidity among situations like the ones we faced is the reason why I can't help but say what's unnecessary."

"This is exactly what I am talking about, Sasuke!"

Sasuke finally shut himself up. He glares at Kakashi for a quick second before turning his head away to look down at the ground beneath him. He tries to avoid any eye contact with anyone by letting his hair fall over his face, even though it bothers him.

"What you two need is some time together."

Sayuri lifted her head up in an instant. "Haven't we already done that?"

"Alone."

Right there, hell would have broken loose. Sayuri and Sasuke stared at Kakashi in shock. They couldn't say what was in their thoughts. The words were stuck in their throat. Instead, they only managed to say one word: "WHAT?"

~*~

Sayuri began pulling the grass from the soil as she sat next to Sasuke in the field. "We should be glad that it's just for today..."

That's right. Itachi had been forced to kick the two out of the mansion by Kakashi until midnight. MIDNIGHT. And obviously, they couldn't go to Sayuri's house either because of her father's partial hatred for the Uchiha. Besides, Kakashi might have been waiting outside of the house, watching to see who passed by.

'This is just GREAT,' Sayuri thought.

"Listen," she suddenly let out, breaking the silence between them. Sasuke lifted his head up to look at her. It made her uncomfortable for some unknown reason. She averted her eyes away from Sasuke and stared up into the sky. "This whole fight started when I couldn't decide who I had feelings for..."

"Way to state the obvious."

There goes Sasuke's bigmouth again. Sayuri lowered her head to look at the grass. "And I thought... maybe we should be honest with each other."

Immediately, Sasuke's thoughts took over his mind as he turned away. Oh sh*t.

"You know, I've honestly found it pretty pointless on how we began fighting back in middle school just because you bullied me. Actually, I was stupid to let it affect me so much that I decided to get back at you. But it did, apparently."

'Where is this conversation going...?' Sasuke stared at her, thinking she would continue what she was pouring out to him.

"I just have one question," she took a deep breath. "Why did you do that in the first place?"

Well, crap. He didn't know either.

"I..." he turned away, leaving his eyes to look at any random object. "I don't really know."

"I bet you're wondering why I was hurt by your words before, hm?"

Now that he came to think of it, he did. He began copying what Sayuri was doing right now: pulling the greenery off of the dirt.

"It was because I... I..." she stuttered. "...had a crush on you." Sasuke suddenly stopped what he was doing. He tensed up.

Sayuri silently giggled at his reaction. "Hard to believe, right? Your long-time rival having feelings for you. It's pretty rare these days as far as I know."

"No," he finally spoke. "It's rare to find that your rival does indeed like you, but they just can't seem to recognize it."

"What?"

"Don't play dumb with me, Sayuri," he smirked. "You heard me the other day. Baka, I like you."

She blinked. Sayuri felt as if she were frozen as she stared into Sasuke's eyes. She knew where this would lead to, but as of right now, she didn't seem to care. "So where do we stand now?"

"What do you mean?"

"Are we still... not friends?"

He wanted to say no, that he already had considered their bond to be as friends, but he found himself already hesitating. It was either friends or more than just friends. It was basically up to him to determine their fate. He cursed to himself for falling for his rival, but he couldn't help it.

Sasuke shut his eyes tightly and resisted the urge to grit his teeth. "It's not my choice. It's fate's."

Sayuri looked away. She didn't have any questions to ask anymore.

She was unsure herself if she wanted to be with Sasuke. She was worried about how Kiba would feel about the whole thing. He reacted so negatively about a stolen kiss! She was afraid of what Kiba would resort to if he found out that she was with Sasuke.

But at the same time, her heart yearned to say yes.

Isn't that what Sasuke implied in his words? That he wanted to call Sayuri his lover?

Well, she was stuck between two paths to two futures. 'This situation... damn... why'd you have to make me choose?' She pushed her thoughts aside, sitting with Sasuke in silence. She didn't care. She wasn't in the mood to talk anyway.