Chapter Thirty-Four: The Stupid and The Ruthless

... I can't help but pull the Earth around me, to make my bed.

*****

"Stop it!" I intend my voice to break through like a commanding call but it comes out more like a stifled, pathetic outcry, "Tom, stop!" This time I manage to convey a reasonable amount of confidence into my words. Not that it actually makes any difference.

Tom's hands are grasping the collar on Harry's jacket so hard, his knuckles are ghostly white. Harry is holding Tom by the wrists in a futile attempt to push him away and I am clinging to one of his arms, trying to pull him towards me and out of Harry's reach. But he doesn't move an inch and his biceps feel like concrete under my hands.

"Calm down, mate" Harry lets out with his eyes closed. He seems extremely calm considering the situation and his temper, but his tone has a somewhat patronizing edge to it that could make things come spiraling down in a matter of seconds, "Just let go of me"

"Call me mate one more time and I fucking swear..." Tom is screaming at the top of his lungs and straight to Harry's face. I need to stop this right now but I don't know how to handle any of it. Whatever I wanted to accomplish with that message, I know for sure it wasn't this.

"Tom, let him go!" I scream even louder and I get scared at my own voice. Suddenly, his head spins in my direction and he looks at me as if he didn't know I was even there, until now. For a second, his eyes seem to strip away from all of his rage and they look at me with a pleading stare. But only for a second, "Please" I say when I notice that his attention is slipping away from me again.

"What the fuck is he doing here?" He releases Harry as if getting rid of something he just doesn't care for anymore, "Why is he here with you, Clementine?"

I don't know why I can't formulate a single word to answer his question. All I have to do is open my mouth and tell him that we were just talking and nothing more, but instead, I just stand there, speechless and shaking from the cold. I guess I just wasn't expecting for him to let go of Harry and actually focus on me. Hi gaze weights heavy on me while he waits for me to speak.

"Mate, we were just..." I can sense the taunting in Harry's voice when he speaks up and I automatically shoot him a glare of disapproval, shaking my head at his obvious instigation.

His eyes are open now and there's a glow about them that just says he is ready to play. And just like that, the kind, sweet Harry I was hanging out with until a few moments ago has suddenly left the building and this snobbish and defiant man who, sadly, it's not a complete stranger to me, decides to make an appearance and join the party.

The rest of his sentence never makes it out of his lips, though. With a quick shift of his hips and an even faster swing of his right arm, Tom drives his tightly closed fist through the air and straight to Harry's face.

From that moment on, is as if someone had pressed the slow motion button and I can perceive every single detail of the horrific scene taking place in front of me.

The sound of Tom's knuckles connecting with the bridge of Harry's nose is something I haven't heard before nor I ever want to hear again. The growl that escapes from his throat, so animalistic and filled with anger and frustration, makes my hair stand on end. The gasp of air leaving the lungs of my ex-fiancée with extreme brutality due to the shock of being attacked with a force that, I know for sure, he never expected. Everything is scary. And the blood... Oh, God!

The blood streaming down his nose looks dark and thick, and the way it is slipping through his fingers when he covers the injured area with his hands is so terrifying and grotesque that I just can't stop staring at it. I swear, I've never seen someone bleeding like that in my life.