Chapter Five: The Morphet Arms (Whatever that means...)

And all these stars been dancing on my head.

*****

I ring the doorbell at least twice before I decide to use my key and once I'm inside the apartment, I walk to the main bedroom where I find Rose sleeping in her bed.

I think to myself that although she seems a lot more thin and fragile than the last time I saw her, she looks peaceful and comfortable. I feel a lump in my throat but I swallow it down immediately.

I stand there, at the threshold for a few moments, mainly trying to convince myself that she is actually sleeping and not dead, and it takes me at least ten or fifteen chest movements to really make sure.

I finally turn around and quietly close the door behind me so I can walk freely around the rest of the apartment without disturbing Rose's much needed rest.

The place looks clean and mostly organized so there isn't much I can do but when I get to the kitchen I see the sink is practically overflowing with dirty dishes.

Now, that will take my mind off of things...

I love cleaning and organizing as much as I hate exercising and cooking; passionately and deeply.

I walk over to the sink as I roll up the sleeves of my T-shirt and I pour a very generous amount of soap in the sponge. Once I'm all set, I start scrubbing like my life depends on it.

At first, I start singing a song inside my head, which is what I usually do when I do the dishes. That, or actually listen to some music while singing my lungs out but, considering that I have a very sick and tired neighbor sleeping in the next room, I have to settle for a low humming.

"It might seem like I'm catching something. That's because is true..." I go. My head is nodding and my hips are swinging to the imaginary music. "... I can't deny it and I won't try it... But I think that you know..." I absolutely love this song. It's romantic and sexy at the same time, "I look around and everything I see is beautiful 'cause all I see is you..."

Sexy, like Tom.

Oh, no! Don't even dare to go there! You are supposed to get your mind off of things... But... come on! We have to think about this, don't we? You almost had sex with one of the, quote, hottest guys on Hollywood right now!!, unquote.

I must be going certifiable because now, my conscious speaks in "we" terms. That can only mean one thing: Schizophrenia.

When have I ever said that!?

Ok, somebody put me in a straight jacket and shoot some Haloperidol in my arm. I am actually having a discussion with myself.

Uhmm... let me see. Well, there was that time when you saw Thor for the first time... You said, if I remember correctly, that you would jump right out of the Bifrost just to bring Loki back to life. Not to mention the ridiculous sound you made when he made his appearance at the Alan Carr show...

I chuckle.

I am so deep in my exchange with myself that I accidentally drop a fork from my soapy hands. The noise it does when it hits the ground makes me jump back to reality and I cringe every time the steel tinkles loudly against the tile floor.

When the fork finally ceases with its jangling fall, I quickly pick it up and take a look over my shoulder, praying that Rose is still asleep. There is no movement. I resume my activity of doing the dishes.

And talking to myself.

Dear conscience, shouldn't we be thinking about the fact that our very much hated ex fiancé showed up at our place. I mean, it's the healthy thing to do. Instead of obsessing over a guy we don't really know and we might as well never see again. Just saying.