Chapter Ten: The Bloody Queen.

I don't wanna be needing your love, I just wanna be deep in your love.

*****

Every time I say goodbye to my father at the airport, whether he is the one flying away or waving goodbye at the other side of the gate, I have what can only be described as a giant avalanche coming down on me and burying me under this thick, impenetrable pile of doubts. All I can do in such moments is to question every choice I made over the last two years.

Why have I decided to move my entire life across the ocean? What was so terrible about my existence in Los Angeles that I had to put thousands of miles between my family and me? Why can I just stop this madness and go back?

All those questions hover around my head every single time. And every single time I manage to chase them away by telling myself that I am happy here, that I like the kind of life I've built for myself in London and that I won't leave it behind. I dig my way out of the snow by listing aloud all the good things I have here that I will lose if I give in to my fears.

It usually takes me the distance between the departure gate and my car to reassure myself, but this time it's getting a little harder than that. The truth is that the list has become drastically shorter, given that Harry used to be the biggest reason why I would pull myself out of the snow and we all know by now that we had to scratch him off.

I park my car just around the corner of my building and I walk into this tiny restaurant that no one seems to notice is there but has the most incredible meatballs you could ever taste and I order a portion to go. It's almost nine and my stomach is demanding dinner.

When I smell the paper bag that contains my delicious food I smile and let out a blissful sigh.

Meatballs. We can totally replace Harry with these meatballs.

I am walking towards my apartment, fighting with all I got not to rip off the bag right where I'm standing and start eating my food with my fingers like a total savage, when I look up and the vision that presents itself before my eyes makes me want to run to my car, drive straight to the airport and get on the first plane that's taking off in that moment. Los Angeles would do just fine. So would Siberia.

I stop in my tracks, staring at the steps of my building's entrance, trying to make some sense of what I'm seeing.

Can we run? Have we been spotted yet?

Just when I am about to go for it and run to the hills, Harry lifts his head up from his cellphone and turns towards me, locking his eyes with mine. He stands up in a jolt, totally unaware of the other guy sitting on the steps a few inches away.

The other guy is also staring at his phone but he doesn't look up when my ex fiancé walks by him and starts running to where I am standing. He seems rather engaged to whatever it is on the screen because I can see he has an utterly serious expression on his face.

"There you are! I have been waiting for hours." Harry says with a mix of worry and reproach.

"What are you doing here, Harry?" I ask him without taking my eyes off of the guy that's still sitting on the steps and frowning at his phone. Now he is rapidly typing something and I can't help but wonder what it is that he's writing and who is he writing it to. He definitely seems not happy at all and I feel sorry for the person who is going to get that text. Or maybe not.

"We need to talk. Please, can we go inside? I'm freezing!" He says wrapping his arms around his torso, sheltering himself from the cold air.

"You have to go, Harry. Now." I say as firmly as I can.