Chapter 12

Mary... the sound of the word bounced off the walls of my head and echoed, such a beautiful sound to my ears, just like when she first complimented on my exotic name. Why would she do this? I hurt her so bad and she still forgave me? I don't understand.
As rest of the day wore on wearily, I mulled over and over the question until the words no longer sounded like words to my confused mind. My fear had been replaced by confusion and confession as each thought of Mary's kindness melted my heart, turning it into a guilty puddle.
At last, after a whole day of not concentrating in class, the school bell indicated the dreaded end of school. I shuddered and tried to put the event that happened at the back of my brain, where memories can never be fished back out, but it was impossible, it hit me too hard. An impact that put my senses to coma, and they wouldn't work properly.
The energy and hope drained completely from me, both mentally and physically, I gathered my books and dumped them into my backpack and flung it over my shoulder. "Mal, it's going to be alright, I will defend you." Mary whispered. I plastered a fake grin over my face and turned around, ready to give my thanks, and saw--nobody.
Oh dear, my hopes are too o high, I'm imaging things now. I cursed mentally.
The courtyard that led to the school gate was bustling with children, funny that I noticed them pushing and shoving me around, in a hurry to get past. Or did they do that before? Just that I wasn't alarmed about it? Probably that.
"Maleficent? My mom snapped me out of my grumpiness and I realised I had walked straight past our usual meeting point.
"How's school today, sweetheart?"
"School sucks. Literally."
I guess I surprised my mother. I never speak like that, nor had I ever complained on anything here at junior school.
"Well, here's the news that would cheer you up."
I continued walking, head held low, searching for a piece of stone to kick, to channel my disappointment into.
"We're going straight home."
I halted.
"What? I thought we were paying a visit to the doctor?"
"No, we're not going. I know you don't like him, and it wouldn't be nice if another person knew about this. We want to keep this private."
I did a little dance of joy in rely and let my gaze fall back to survey the blank floor. My eyes filled with tears as I waited for my mother to ask me what's wrong. It sometimes feel good to know that somebody still cares for you when hatred is surrounding and choking the life out of you.
"Still not happy? Must be something big at school then, since school still sucks after this great news." ventured Mom, as if she could read my mind like a book.
"Igotbullied" I blurted at break-neck speed.
"What?! Again?" Mom wailed. "Where can I find a school that's perfect for you? Why do people keep bullying you? I don't see anything wrong with my diamond! And by this I complain to the Lord! There is no reason to torture my daughter!"
Heads turned and stared at my mother. Unwanted glances, filled up with hatred and annoyance.
"Mom," I warned. "You're overreacting!"
"No I'm not! I'm seeing your headmistress right now! What's the rotten egg's name?"
"No Mom, please. You have to understand. If you tell anyone, they will only bully me more!"
"Shut up!" She glared at me like I was a piece of mounded cheese. "You know it's not true!"
She marched off, against the current of the pushing, shoving people. Thinking that not following would do no good, I hurried after her, wordless and devastated. In the crowd, however, was incredibly hard to locate a person of similar height with high school students, so I took another path, winding around the courtyard and entering the back door, climbing up the stairs with all hope I could get a chance to stop my mother from saying anything to the headmistress.
As I arrived at the headmistress's office, I heard mumbling of my mother's voice. Oh dang. I cursed inwardly again. Don't cry over spilt milk, cry over how bad your life is. Am I allowed to cry now, PewDiePie?