Chapter Seventeen ~ long way up

Hey as always not edited. Hope you like it. Not long – as always.

Last Time

Is it possible to have a life? Will we always be on the run? The only thing I did know was no matter what Chris would be by my side.

 30/5/14 edited

Chapter Seventeen ~ long way up

My feet began to grow tired. My skin burned as hot as the boiling sun above. “Just a little more further…” Chris kept repeating, as he noticed how tired I was getting. We’d been walking for 6 days now, camping on the empty land by night. Our food was running out. Our water running out even faster. I sighed. No shade. No comfort. We kept walking. And walking. And walking. And walking. Endlessly into the empty land ahead.

As I stared longingly at the blurry horizon, I finally saw green. The lush green. Green of grass. Grass needs shade, and water. “Chris look!” I exclaimed. His gaze followed mine as he gave a smile much like mine. A smile of hope. We both walked towards the lush green on the horizon, and as we reached the top of what looked a hill, we saw it. Paradise.  Chris’ grip on my hand tightened as we reached safety.

The trees swayed in the fresh breeze. I slumped my shoulders as I relaxed. Finally safety. We stood in a green, blossoming part of land, next to a lake. The sun reflected off the water, as the light shone so bright it was like destiny was calling us. I pumped my feet pounding on the ground before meeting the cold water. The water was so blue I could see my reflection. Pure water. The dust on my clothes rippled off me and onto the bed of the water. I dipped my hands into the water and brought it to my lips. So refreshing. I turned to see Chris had joined me; we stood quenching our thirst for 10 minutes before feeling satisfied.

“Let go find somewhere to rest,” Chris stated before leading the way through the lush grass. I ran my fingers along the sharp blades of grass. I let my mind wonder. We escaped the dictatorship of Jailbreak, and inhumanity to join nature and paradise. Have we been rewarded for rebelling?

“Here.” Chris stated as we tracked through the grass. We stopped at a quite corner of the land. A huge tree covered the land, and a small river flowed passed it. “Where?” I questioned, seeing no place of comfort. “Up there.” Chris pointed while craning his neck to see the top of the branches. My mouth gaped. “But-” I stuttered. That was a long way up.

Chris wrapped his arms around the thick truck of the tree and began to climb. I adjusted the strap of my bag on my shoulder and did the same as Chris did. We climbed half way up the tree before Chris halted at a large, thick, stable branch. It was so big me and Chris could both lay beside each other and still have room. I sighed with comfort. Chris slung his bag at the furthest point on the branch and I followed. He then sat slumped with his back against the truck with his head resting back. I smiled. We could both feel it radiating off this place. Comfort. Home. Safety. This place truly was Paradise.

Hope you liked it. Please tell me what you think. So what do you want next?