Chapter 7: Written In the Stars

Start from the beginning

"You're a terrible tour guide" he comments.

"These are stairs," you continue, ignoring him, "We climb them sometimes."

"I'm practically falling asleep."

You huff and lead him to the next floor, going to a window and opening it. You climb out onto the thin ledge and glance back at him, "Coming?"

His eyes widen in fear, "I'm not as agile as you. I'll fall."

"I'll catch you," you hold your hand out, "I'm not saying you should trust anyone because, let's be honest, you shouldn't, but please trust me." He hesitates, looking from you to your hand before he takes it and follows you. You hold onto his waist and shift to the side.

His claws dig into the front of your shirt, "What are we doing?"

"Making my way to a safer spot of course. Unless you want to stay here..." He shakes his head quickly and clings to you. You shift slowly, making your way to the corner of the ledge. "So... How'd it go? You and Dirk?"

He smiles a little, "Pretty good. He's a sweet guy."

"Mmhmm" you step around the edge, pulling Karkat with you quickly so he wouldn't slip.

He clings to you looking terrified, "Has he said otherwise?"

"What?" you look down at him, distracted.

"Is he unhappy with me?" He frowns.

"No, of course not. As far as I can tell, he loves you enough to kill his own brother," you half joke, slipping your other hand to wrap around the troll's waist and suddenly picking him up.

He yelps, blushing scarlet, "Wh-Whatre you doing?"

"Hold onto me, but not sexually. My brother will actually have my head," you turn around so Karkat is pressed against the wall. His ears lower and he purrs softly, wrapping his arms around your neck and his legs around his waist, "Yes, clearly platonic" you start to climb the wall.

"D-Dave!' He yelps, clinging to you even tighter.

"I'm sorry, no more jokes" you climb slower.

"Where are we going?" He repeats.

"You'll see" you don't slip even once. It's almost like the wall is carved to help you climb. You make it to the roof of the tower and put Karkat down. He trembles, looking around, shaken. You stand at the edge of the roof, "Coming?"

"Coming where?" He hesitantly follows.

You jump onto the other roof. "Here."

"I can't do that!"

You hold your hands out, "Just jump. I'll catch you." He hesitates, taking a running start before jumping. You catch him, pulling him closer and stumbling back, "You did good."

He clings to you, nodding, "Th-Thanks. Why are we up here?"

"We aren't at our destination yet. Just need to climb one more tower. "

He groans "David..."

"Climb on my back and you won't have to climb the tower."

"I can climb up there just as well as you." He counters.

"Alright," you walk to the other side of the roof where there's a brick wall with steps cut in. Meanwhile, Karkat looks up at the wall, attempting to scale it. You easily make it to the roof and lean on the railing, watching his feeble attempts. "I'll wait for you at the top."