Chapter Eleven ~Maddie~

Start from the beginning

Instead of answering, I take off through the water ahead of him.

"Cheater!" he yells, but I don't slow.

I pump my arms in front of me at full force, trying desperately to beat him. I chance a look behind me, and he's already gaining on me, fast. Adrenaline courses through me as I push myself harder.

I'm almost there when he catches up to me and grabs my ankle, yanking me backwards by my leg. I let out a scream before my face is pulled under the water. I struggle to right myself, but he still has a grip on me.

"Let... go... of my leg." I manage to choke the words out while trying to catch my breath.

He does what I ask, looking only slightly amused. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to pull your face under like that. Honest." He puts a hand up in surrender, the other crossing his heart.

I splash him in the face. "Payback."

Wiping the water from his face he laughs, "Fair is fair." He reaches out for me, and his hands grab my waist. It's shallow enough to stand, but the water hits my neck so I grasp his shoulders to steady myself. I'm still catching my breath and when I look up at Aiden, he's staring at me like he has many times before, but something about his gaze is different. Amusement and adoration are clear, but there's more... Oh my God. It's lust. He's looking at me like... well, like he wants me. His eyes drift to my lips, and he starts to move closer. He licks his lips as he lowers his head and for a second too long I think about letting him kiss me, but at the last minute I turn my face and his lips meet my jawline. He lingers there, one of his hands finding its way into my hair. My hands tighten on his shoulders and he pulls me closer by my waist, giving my jaw another slow peck before releasing me.

I don't move. I don't say anything. I just stare at him, I might be in shock, just a little.

"Breathe Maddie." He smiles at me. "I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself."

I clear my throat, "Umm."

"Don't worry, I can see you weren't ready for that. I won't do it again, I promise. At least not until you ask me to." He winks and takes off for the shore.

That's the problem though. It was nice, really nice.

He doesn't even realize it's the first time I have been kissed by anyone like that. Even if it was just my cheek, it was my first kiss. Excitement stirs in my stomach, but it's quickly followed by a flood of guilt, because he's right, I wasn't ready for it yet, and I don't know if I ever will be. While my mind may be in denial, my heart remembers, knows, it belongs to someone else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The fire crackles in front of me as I sit and stare, watching the flames dance. I've been a little out of it since Aiden kissed me. My emotions have been warring with my brain, pushing me to make sense of why I feel so guilty about liking it. I don't want to acknowledge the whys though. The whys are what I have been trying to ignore the past few weeks, what I've been trying to let go of.

If I allow myself to go there, it'll open the floodgates and I don't want to deal with it. I won't be able to handle it, not after I've gotten this far ignoring my feelings. So instead of being honest with myself, I'm going to continue on my path of denial. It's simpler that way. Easier.

Aiden hasn't brought it up again, thank goodness and while Alex has given me a few strange looks, she hasn't commented on it either. It's not like them to leave something like this be, but not one smartass remark has come out of their mouths, at least not directed at me. Maybe I haven't done as good a job of keeping my feelings hidden as I thought.

"I'm gonna go to sleep guys," I say as I snuggle down into my sleeping bag.

"Okay, night." Alex says.

"Night, beautiful." Aiden says, smirking at me.

The "beautiful" and the smirking I'm used to, it's the twinkle in his eyes that tell me he isn't going to let the kiss go.

I turn over in my sleeping bag and look at the stars, finding the biggest, brightest one. It's something I used to do back home, with someone I wish with all my heart was lying next to me right now.

Maybe forgetting is what I need. I think about Aiden's words. "I won't do it again, I promise. At least not until you ask me to." he'd said

It's only two words.

Kiss me.

It's all I'd need to say for him to do it, to really kiss me, and help me forget what I've been fighting to let go of.

Could I do that to him though, use him that way? The thing is, I genuinely do like him and if my heart wasn't stuck in the past, I think I could easily fall for him.

***Author's Note***

Comment what you think! We'd really, really love your feedback. Have a great day :)

**Thank you so much for taking the time to read Chapter 11. We would love your feedback, so please feel free to comment. If you've enjoyed this chapter you can vote for it by clicking the star. Also, please add Breeder Nation to your library if you'd like to continue this journey with us. We truly appreciate your support. <333 Kara Michelle **