Chapter Nine Part Two

(dan)

We sat in silence for what seemed to be forever after I said that to Phil.

"What?" He asked.

"I think we need to break up. It's better for both of us. We're both getting bullied because of our relationship. I know that Jake's the reason your arm is broken, I was there and-"

"Wait, you were there?" Phil asked, looking up. His eyes were red, as if he were trying not to cry. "You were there and you didn't do anything?"

"Phil, I couldn't have done anything-"

"No, I know. I just would have thought you would have tried," Phil said quietly.

"Phil, I'm sorry. It's just, it'll be better for both of us."

Phil shook his head, tears running down his face. "No, it'll be better for you."

At this exact moment, Pj, Chris, and Lily walked into the room.

"Dan, are you okay?" Pj asked.

"Yea, Da- Phil? What's wrong, mate?" Chris asked.

Phil shook his head quickly before turning and running out of the room.

Chris and Pj looked from where Phil disappeared to me, confused. Lily, though she probably didn't know what happened, knew I had something to do with it. She glared at me before running after Phil.

"What was that?" Pj asked.

"Um, Dan, what did you do?" Chris asked me.

I explained to Chris and Pj what had happened and why I did what I did.

Chris and Peej narrowed their eyes and shook their heads.

"Dan, we're your friends-" Chris started.

"-and this gives us the right to tell you the truth," Pj continued. "You're a jerk."

I sighed. "Well I'm tired. I think I'm going to go to sleep."

(phil)

I ran to the first place I thought of: the owlery.

In hindsight it wasn't the best idea, as everyone knew where to find me.

I wasn't alone for five minutes before Lily bust into the room, shouting, "Tell me what the little shit did, he'll pay."

"Not now, Lily," I whispered, putting my forehead on my knees.

Lily looked at me and shook her head. She sat next to me and put a single arm around my shoulders.

"It's okay, Phil."

"No it won't."

Lily and I sat in silence for ten minutes before two more people came in.

"Phil!" Chris and Pj shouted in unison.

"Phil, Dan told us what happened- he's a jerk by the way- and we wanted to check on you," Pj explained.

I closed my eyes. "Guys, I'm thankful, but I just want to be alone now."

Pj and Chris nodded, and Lily stood and left with them.

I stayed in the owlery all night. No one came to get me in the morning. No one asked when I showed up for breakfast where I had been.

I guess word travled quickly, as everyone (not just the Hufflepuffs) looked at me sadly. The only people who didn't were the Slytherins, who were smiling and laughing.

I sat on the side of the table that faced away from Dan.