Chapter Nine Part One

(Dan)

I know what to do.
But can I do it?

I put my head in my hands. I can't be asked to make this decision, even if I'm the one asking myself.

I sigh. I decide to put it off until tomorrow until I do anything. I walk back out into the main hallway outside the common room when I'm immediately pushed into the wall.

"Wow he can't even defend himself," Goyle laughed.

Draco chuckled, high fiving Crabbe for knocking me over.

"It's because he's half mudblood," Goyle continues.

"Half mudblood and completely gay what an awful combination," Crabbe says.

"If you act worse than a mudblood, Howell," Draco sneered. "We're gonna treat you worse than a mudblood."

At that, Draco waved his wand and said the word, "Crucio."

I felt the pain for about four seconds before it was too much and I blacked out.

(phil)

I frowned when Dan didn't even really speak to me the entire Quidditch game. I knew something was wrong, but he seemed determined not to tell me what.

I sighed and turned a corner of the hallway I was walking. I realized this was a part of the castle that I'd never been in.

I saw a slumping figure laying outside of a large doorway. The curiosity was awful, I walked forward quickly to see who the slumping figure was.

I didn't have my glasses today, so I was only a few steps away before I realized who was on the ground.

"Dan? Dan!" I ran towards him and picked him up. He was conscious, if only slightly. He kept mumbling, "I will do it."

I had no idea what he meant by that, but I was dragging him towards the hospital wing. I know I'm on the other side of the castle, but I had to get him there. I have no idea what happened, but that wasn't important right now.

"Of all the times to have a broken arm, why does it have to be when I have to help someone across the castle?" I whispered, trying to carry Dan.

I heard two pairs of feet running towards me. I looked up and saw that one pair belonged to Lily. The other pair belong to Valerie, the Keeper of the Quidditch team.

They were talking about something, and laughing at something Lily said. But then Valerie noticed me dragging Dan's limp body down the corridor.

"Phil?" Valerie called before running towards me, Lily right behind her.

"What happened?!" Lily asked, grabbing Dan's other arm to help me carry him.

"I don't know! I just found him right outside that door!" I said, pointing to the big double doors.

"Well, let's get him to the hospital wing, then we'll figure out what happened," Valerie suggested. The three of us carry/dragged Dan to the other side of the castle in about 20 minutes. Madam Pomfrey took him without many questions and asked us to leave.

The doors to the room closed and I sat dirrectly outside the doors.

"Phil," Lily said. "We should go tell Pj and Chris. Maybe they know something."

"I'm not leaving," I stated.

Lily frowned, but nodded. "You okay if we leave you? We'll be back once we find them."

I nodded, and they left.

I shook my head, how on earth did this happen? I started thinking.

Maybe Jake did something to him, although there didn't seem to be any signs of physical harm, like my broken arm.

I sat outside the door for what seemed an eternity. But when I was summoned into the hospital room by Pomfrey, I found out it had only been twenty minutes.

"Daniel is asking for someone named Phil, is that you?" She asked me.

I nodded, stood slowly, and walked into the room.

Dan was sat up in a bed, holding his head as if he had a bad headache. He didn't notice I was in there, so I took a moment to just take a deep breath.

In this moment, I noticed Dan looked nervous. He shook his head and sighed loudly.

I was confused, why would he be nervous? I decided to not think about it and walked towards him.

"Dan, are you okay?" I asked quietly.

He looked up, finally making eye contact with me for the first time that day. "Yea, I'm fine."
I could tell he was lying.
"Madam Pomfrey told me you found me outside the Slytherin common room?"

Slytherin Common room. So that's what the door led to.

"Yea. Lily and her friend Valerie helped me get you here. What happened, by the way?"

"Malfoy. That's all I'm saying," Dan answered. Then he took a deep breath.

"Listen, Phil, I think we should break up."