CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX | aislin

It hurt to move. I could feel the muscles in my legs were useless, incapacitated from something, I couldn't remember. My head throbbed. The agonizing pounding in my head was my poor blood vessels threatening to erupt.

I was so exhausted, I felt like I wasn't even part of my body. Like I was looking down on myself. But only darkness surrounded me. I wasn't even going to bother to open my eyes. What was the point? It was too painful. Everything ached as I started to feel myself blackout again.

***

Mum told me to go to my room. She's been acting strange the past couple of days, but Papa keeps telling me she is okay. But I don't believe him. He doesn't know Mum and I share this special connection. It's kind of strange. I suppose he suspects something, because we all know he isn't my real father. Mum won't tell me who my real papa is because she says it's complicated.

Today, when I woke up, the sun hadn't been shining like it always did. Every morning, since I can remember, the sun would peek through my window and warm my face. It would light up my whole bedroom in its magical golden glow.

But, instead, I woke up to dark clouds and heavy, thick smoke outside my window. Mum didn't even try to make me feel better. She just said there was a huge forest fire that was causing the sun not to shine. But we both knew she was lying.

"It will clear up, baby. You'll see. Then, we can go outside and play. Promise." Her eyes were sad, but she tried to smile as she brushed my hair back.

"But what if it doesn't, mummy?" I asked, searching for any reassurance that I was wrong and she was right. But the gloom that painted her face did not wash off. And for the first time, I was scared.

"Then you stay in your room until I come to get you. Okay, baby girl?" She cupped my face in her soft, gentle hands. She stared long and hard at me. I knew that she knew something she wasn't telling me. But I didn't pester her, because I was a good little girl. Even though I had just turned ten. Today, actually. September twenty-first.

I nodded in acknowledgement. But before I could give her a kiss or a hug, I heard the door downstairs. Someone was knocking on it. I watched Mum's face turn pale as her gaze went from the hallway, back to me. Quickly pulling me close, she kissed my forehead and then the top of my head. Butterflies swarmed my insides.

"I'm scared mummy. What's going on?" I asked.

"Stay here, baby girl. Remember what we practiced. I love you, baby girl. I'm so sorry." And then she shut the door and locked it.

I stayed still, staring at my door, waiting for her to come back and get me. Just like she had promised. But the seconds that passed felt like hours. I listened as I heard Mum and Papa talk, then the door opened. Though the door was new, there was still a faint creak as it opened.

Sitting down on my bedroom floor, I remained silent. Whoever had been knocking on the door was quiet too. All I could hear was the mumbling of a conversation. It didn't matter how quiet I was being.

So intrigued, trying to to understand what was being discussed, I didn't feel the change in my room. Or the breeze that rattled my window open. The commotion downstairs was now an uproar. They were mad and angry at something.

"Where is she Georgina? We had a deal. Remember?" The voice was low and deep. Demanding. It made me scoot back until I was resting up against my bed. Bringing my knees to my chest, it was clear they were looking for me.

"She's visiting her grandparents." Mum replied. If I had been able to see Mum's face, I knew it would have been very believable. The I heard a loud clap and Mum moaned.