Why Would I Need Anyone Else?- NaLu (AU)

*{Warning: slight NaLi at the beginning. Insane NaLu shippers, DON'T KILL ME!}*

It was that time of year again: Prom Season. Even though it was still a month away, the halls were still full of the usual Prom related murmurings. Boys were planning proposals, comparing tux rental prices, and telling woeful tales of attempts to match corsages with dress colors. Girls hotly debated the virtues of bras-less bodices and which really was better, long or short dresses. It was inescapable, which was especially unfortunate for Natsu Dragneel.

Last year, junior year, he'd gone stag with a mixed group of guys and girls. He'd had fun dancing with his friends (although Erza had made him motion sick when she spun him like a top try to "teach him how to dance." Lucy had been much more gentle and fun.) and making fun of the Ice Prick when he'd stripped off his tux and had been hit over the head by Miss Porlyusica, the school nurse, who'd been chaperoning. However, this year all of his friends were getting together and going together as each other's dates. Erza was taking Jellal, who was her Vice President on the Student Council and boyfriend. Gray had given in to Juvia's incessant begging and was going with her (When he'd finally said yes, she tackled him and, sobbing, had started kissing him all over his face). Gajeel had "given in" and asked Levy (everyone knew that he liked her, but he refused to acknowledge anyone who said this beyond a punch in the face). Even the Twin Douchebags, Sting and Rogue had swung dates. Sting had, miraculously in Natsu's opinion, made Yukino, a perfectly nice girl, his girlfriend. Even Rogue had asked some girl named Kagura who'd agreed to be his date. Natsu felt this could be blamed on the fact that she went to Mermaid Heel Academy, the local, all girls, Catholic school. Even, Lucy, who Natsu would have taken as his date, was rumored to be going with Loke.

Natsu refused to be that loner at Prom, so he'd decided that he was going to do it. He was finally going to ask Lisanna Strauss to be his date for Prom. They'd been next door neighbors and best friends when they were younger, until she'd moved with her brother and sister who had graduated and needed to live closer to their school, the next town over. This meant she'd had to transfer to their local high school. Ironically, Lucy and her family had been the ones who had moved in a year after Lisanna left. Lisanna had transferred back when her sister graduated and had gotten a job in Magnolia, just in time for her senior year. Just in time for Natsu to ask her to be his date for senior prom. She seemed like she'd be fun to go with. They'd been close before, playing house with Natsu's cat, at that time a small kitten, as their baby. Besides, there wasn't actually anyone else he liked enough to ask.

Sure, Luce was awesome and they always had fun together, but if she was going with Loke he wouldn't get in the way. Loke clearly liked her, he was a possible boyfriend for Luce. Natsu was just a friend. Still, it would've been fun to take her. She'd been in the group he went with last year and dancing with her had been a lot of fun. She'd even tried to teach him how to slow dance during one of those ridiculous songs that the deejays always played for couples. But, she'd be dancing with Loke this year, and he actually did know how to slow dance. Nope, Natsu would be asking Lisanna.

~*~*~*~

It was after school that Natsu found Lisanna. She was outside taking care of the school's collection of birds in an aviary. Now seemed like as good a time as any to ask her to prom. He didn't really have much planned for this. in fact, the only plan was just to ask her. Why come up with a big prom proposal when he just wanted a friend to go with. It wasn't a real date. Still, asking her in her favorite spot on campus seemed like it would make it look like he had put a little more thought into it. If he'd been asking Luce he would've asked her in the library, under the star mural in the astronomy section. She loved it there.

Natsu pushed open the door. There she was, filling up the bird feeders. Time to ask.

"Yo! Lisanna!" She turned.