thirty two

Bambi slowly rocks with the sound of Makeda's voice as she finishes the song, waving the incense in her hand around. She was always soothed by the sound of Makeda's voice. Makeda was the main reason why she started singing. She only wished Makeda would become a duet with her instead of settling for a simple backup singer.

"I swear, Makeda, if you don't ask Kellan for your own album, imma kill you." She says, inhaling deeply.

"Nah, I'm good." She mutters, looking at the group. "Stop hogging this shit." She says, taking the blunt from Laurent. "You don't know what puff puff pass means?"

"You too busy singing." Laurent mutters, the smoke being blown into the air. He looks at his brother, who was looking up at the sky, watching as weed and incense smoke intertwine and fade.

Makeda scoffs, shaking her head and exhaling smoke. "Whatever man." She says, moving it in Bambi's direction. Bambi shakes her head.

"No, I'm good." She mutters, laying down on the grass. "I'm done for the night."

"I'm hungry." Larry mutters, a frown on his face.

"Me too!" Makeda laughs, getting up. "Come on and let's get some food." She says, holding her hand out for Larry, who takes it. Makeda tries to haul him up, almost falling right back down, and she would have if Larry didn't steady her. The two start laughing, walking together back to the tour bus.

"Bi." Laurent says, scooting over to him.

"Hmm?" She hums, keeping her eyes up at the stars.

"What's up there?"

"Stars." She mutters. "They're really pretty."

"I know they stars, but why you looking up there? What's up there that's interesting?"

"The stars are." She says, a smile forming on her face. "They're interesting. Like... what if I could touch one?" She reaches her hand out, closing it as if she grabbed a star. "And kept it forever and ever?"

"Aren't stars already dead when we see them?"

"Well, yeah, but still." She laughs, closing her eyes and dropping her arms. "I really want a star. I think that'd be cool." She licks her bottom lip. "Or maybe I could live in space. That'd be cool too."

"I guess." Laurent mutters, laying his head on her stomach. "I like it here." The two sit in silence, Bambi smiling at the double entendre in his words.

"Lau, I'm sorry." She mutters. "I mean, I'm sorry for hurting you. I just... We just needed space. Not just me. Both of us. I really don't think I should have come to France." Laurent keeps quiet and Bambi sighs, her hands massaging his scalp. "I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions, but I couldn't help it. I'm going to be honest, the pain from what you did to me on prom night and then seeing you with Urilla and your family gassing me up, I just... I lost sight of everything. And then when I went to stay with Leo and Luce, I was just thinking. I stayed up all night and thought and came to the conclusion that we needed space. A lot of it. I was holding you back. So, along with Mama B's help and guidance, I just... let us go."

"Why you listen to her?" He asks, lifting his head and turning to face her. "Why you listen to my maman and hurt me like that?"

"I'm sorry, Lau-"

"You know none of them care about me." He says, making her eyes widen and she props herself up on her elbow. "They not want the best for me, that's why they all jump the gun and tell you everything. Yes, Urilla want me, but I never let her have me if I have you. Why I need her? I tell her to stay over for dinner to ease everything. So you can get to know her and what she does and doesn't mean to me. She never a threat to you. She not mean nothing to me."