twenty one

She runs a hand through her hair, rolling her eyes. "I really don't get this shit." She mutters and Larry sighs, laying back on the bed.

"Bambi, I swear, I teach you this already!" He groans and she closes her eyes.

"I know, damn. Just... calculus is hard."

"Weren't you in Pre?"

"Well, yeah, but it's different. That was pre calculus. This is actual calculus. I don't get this." She says. "That's why I took stats senior year."

"Is it easier?"

"Yup. To me at least. I heard the complete opposite." She says, looking down at the book. "So, uhm, have you heard from Lau? Is he coming over for the holidays?"

"I not know. He not call me back last night. When we talked he said he was though."

"Good. I got him a present." She says, a small smile on her face.

"You really into Christmas now, huh?"

"Well, I've always loved Christmas, but... it was just a really hard time for me." She shrugs. "I couldn't stand to decorate and do all that stuff because... it held too much memories."

"Of your maman?"

"Yeah." She nods. "But, I got over it. I'm cool now." She says, smiling. "And we had a lot of fun decorating together."

"We would have had more if Lau was with us." Larry mutters, closing his eyes and Bambi sighs.

"It's fine. He'll be here and we can share all of our Christmas cheer." She says, and he looks at her, a skeptical look on her face. She keeps her smile, laughing as he continues to look.

"What if he not coming?" Larry asks, crossing his arms. "He always so busy now. I barely talk to him anymore."

Bambi sighs, her smile quickly dying. "Yeah, I know." She mutters, pushing the work aside and laying down next to him. "I barely talk to him too. But we still have to have hope. I mean, we haven't seen him in... a very long time."

"He not even come spend Thanksgiving with us. He too busy."

"This time will be different-"

"And I cook a big meal. I pay for maman plane ticket and we all supposed to eat a big meal."

"It was very sweet, Larry. You-"

"He was supposed to introduce you to her as his girl, but he not even there. I have to do it for him."

"Larry, please." Bambi mutters, propping herself up on her elbow and looking down at him. "You can't keep this attitude. Laurent will come. He will, Larry."

-

"So are you coming?"

"I have to see my schedule."

"Laurent, it's Christmas break. Are you telling me you don't get any breaks?"

"I do get breaks. But I have to ask Elisa if I can come out there." Laurent says, his voice sounding tired. She would force him to go to sleep, but he called her, which was a rare occurrence. Now she knew how her father felt.

"And if she says no, you're just going to stay in France?"

"I not in France anymore, Bi. I'm in Europe."

"Okay, sorry. But are you coming or not? I want to see you."

"I want to see you too, bébé, but I do not know if I can come out there."

Bambi sighs, rubbing her eye. "Alright Laurent."

"Baby, don't sound like that." He mutters, yawning. "I swear to you, I try my best."