twenty two

"Bi! Your cat scratch me!" Laurent calls out making her sigh.

"Why?"

"I pull it away from the tree. It try to eat it and then get mad when I move it."

She sighs, moving out of the kitchen. "Laurent, what's wrong?"

"That cat is evil." Laurent mutters, crossing his arms and watching Maka play with the Christmas tree.

"Maka is not evil." She says, pulling Maka away from the tree and sitting next to Laurent. "Maka's just a sweet little baby." She says, petting the purring cat.

Laurent rolls his eyes. "Sure. He sweet to you, but he try to scratch me."

"He just needs to warm up to you. He's tried to scratch my dad before too, but now they're cool."

"He not want to be cool to me." Laurent says, and Bambi lays her head on his shoulder.

"He will." She says, letting Maka jump out of her arms. "So, how long are you staying?"

"I not sure. Elisa hasn't called to talk, so I guess she letting me stay for a while."

"That's good." She sighs, moving to sit on his lap and face him. "I really, really missed you, Lau."

"I miss you too, Bi." he says, placing his hands on her side. She places hers on top of his, messing with the rings on his fingers.

"How's being alone?"

"What do you mean?"

"How is it dancing without a group?"

"Lonely. Is why I want Larry with me, but he say he gon finish school first." Laurent sighs, leaning forward and laying his head on her chest. "He say he gon get his bachelors."

"That's good." Bambi says, massaging his scalp. "It'll make Mama B happy."

"But it take so long."

"He has like... one more year, Laurent. It won't be that long."

"It will." He pouts and she sighs.

"With that mindset, it'll take longer." She says and he rolls his eyes.

"What you get me for Christmas, Bi?"

"I can't tell you." She says, pulling her hands out of his afro. "You'll have to wait til tomorrow."

"I tell you what I get you."

"No. It's fine." She says. "My dad and Larry will be coming over bright and early so you won't have to wait that long to open your presents."

"Your dad coming?"

"Yeah. He got you and Larry something."

"What? I not get your papa nothing, Bi!"

"Its okay. I bought him something and just wrote your name on the present."

Laurent frowns. "You spend your money too much."

"I couldn't let him get you something and you didn't get him shit."

"How much was it? I pay you back."

"It's fine, Laurent."

"No, really, how much?"

"It was free."

"How much did you pay for your papa's present?" Laurent asks and Bambi leans forward, kissing him.

"It wasn't a lot." She says, kissing him again. "Don't worry."