eighteen

"Larry leave me?" Laurent gasps, raising his head. Bambi slowly opens her eyes, yawning a bit.

"He has school."

"Yeah, but he just leave me here!" Laurent huffs, laying his head on her stomach again. "He so mean to me." He mutters, wrapping his arms around her waist and turning his head toward the television. "I thought we were gonna stay until monday. Is our sleepover plans, and he just leave without saying bye."

"He did say bye. You weren't paying attention. You were watching tv." Bambi yawns, covering her mouth. "I'm sleepy. Get up."

"No, no, stay like this." He mutters, turning his head to look at her. "Is comfortable."

"But, Laurent... sleep."

"Sleep on the couch. Just don't move." He says, looking back at the tv and watching the movie that was playing. She sighs, closing her eyes.

"You always get what you want." She mutters, sleep in her voice. "And I always let you get it."

"That's not true." He responds. "I want a lot of things right now, but I not get any of them, and I know you not let me get any of them."

She slowly opens her eyes. "Can you carry me to my bed?" She asks, and he sighs.

"But, I like it here, with you."

She closes her eyes once more, inhaling deeply. "Okay." She mutters, laying her head to the side. Laurent watches her, letting out a breath and looking at the tv. He had no interest in it anymore. He sighs, turning to look at her again. She was sleep. He studies her face, his hands rubbing the exposed skin under his hands. He nuzzles her stomach, pressing a little kiss to her belly button, mindful of the jewelry she had there.

"When she get a belly piercing?" Laurent asks, removing his hand from her back and to her stomach, fingering the belly ring. The piece was a blue and silver dream catcher, making him nod. It was cute. He plays with it for a while, pressing another kiss to her stomach before pulling her shirt down.

She groans, adjusting herself as he pulls both arms out from under her. He sits up, being careful as to not sit on her feet. He gets up, stretching and bending to pick her up. She lays her head on his shoulder, her eyes slowly opening.

"You taking me to bed?"

"Yes." He mutters, and she smiles.

"I knew you would see it my way." She mutters, wrapping her arms around his neck and closing her eyes.

-

She wraps her arms around his neck, her hands burying themselves in his afro and not pulling away from him. "I love you." She whispers, biting her lip. "God, I love you." He sighs, laying down on her carefully, not putting all his weight on her.

"When you get your belly pierced?" Laurent asks, his hand trailing down her stomach and stopping at her belly button, playing with the belly ring.

"A while ago. In the summer." She mutters, closing her eyes.

"You sleepy?"

"Mmhmm." She hums, making him sleep.

"I do a good job then." He says, grabbing her arms and pulling them away from him. He rolls off of her, laying on his back and looking up at the ceiling. "Better than your ex?"

"Me and Niko never had sex." She says, pulling the blanket over her.

"But you were going to. You think he better than me?"

"No." She mutters. "But you've had plenty of practice."

"So I be good for you." He says, and she rolls her eyes, scooting over to him and throwing her arm over his naked torso. "I make sure I be the best for you."

"Okay." She mutters, placing her head on his shoulder.

"I love you." He says, stroking her hair.

"Love you too." She yawns. She quickly falls asleep and he gets up, throwing on some shorts and walking to the kitchen.

During his search for food, he hears the ringing of his phone, making him sigh and rush over. He picks up the phone, answering it but not saying nothing, checking to see if Bambi was still asleep. He sighs with relief, keeping the phone to his chest and walking out of the room.

"Hello?"

"Hey man! It's me, Kai." The caller belts out in french, and Laurent smiles.

"Kai, I haven't heard from you for a while. What's up?"

"You still dancing with us, man?"

"Of course. I just needed to go back to my family and friends, you know?"

"Oh yeah, you posted pictures on instagram. You having fun over there?"

"Yeah." Laurent says, looking toward Bambi's room. "It's been great."

"What about your girl? Bambi? You get to see her?"

"Of course, man! She's the best part of my trip. Well, seeing her and Larry. She's... perfect."

"Damn, I knew you loved her, but wow."

"Yeah. She finally took me back Kai."

"Good for you, man." Kai says, laughing, but his laughter dies quickly. "But, uh, we have another performance in a month. That's why I called you. Elisa wants you back really soon so we can work on new choreographies."

"What? I thought we had longer? I need... Bambi's gonna graduate next month, I have to go." He says. "Can't we talk to Elisa and push dates back a month or something. I can't miss this."

"Laurent, I don't know. Talk to Elisa. I cannot change anything, man. But you know I would if I could."

"Yeah." Laurent says, closing his eyes. "Alright, I'll... talk to you later Kai."

"Okay man. Bye."

Laurent sighs, letting his arm fall and he closes his eyes. "Fuck." He mutters. He looks at his phone, quickly dialing another number and pacing back and forth.

"Hello?"

"Elisa, can you please reschedule the performance next month. I cannot leave right now. Next month is something very very important and-"

"Laurent, this performance is very important. It is what's going to make you famous, Laurent."

"It's gonna make the group famous?"

"No, not the group, Laurent. You. You know you are the best dancer in this group. Even if you lose, the freestyle you will do will get you recognition. You will become famous, like you always wanted."

"And... what about the rest? What about Kai, Ace, Malik and Andre? They all good too. They have freestyles too."

"Not in this choreography. We need something big. My goals are aim to win, but if we don't at least you will get somewhere. Then you can come as you please."

"Elisa, this is not right."

"Laurent, just go get your plane ticket tomorrow, come back to France, and then you will see."

With that, she hung up, leaving him staring at the wall. Was he really just going to leave when things are so good here? Was his career that important? More important than Bambi? And what about the group? Could he really just manipulate them and use them as a stepping stool to get higher?