eight

"Bi?"

"I don't wanna talk." Bambi says quietly, looking up at the ceiling. "I'm sorry."

Mia lets out a breath. She didn't know what to do. She couldn't make Bambi stop crying. She tried, but nothing worked. Not ice cream, music, videos, jokes, nothing.

Bambi was mourning.

Not just her the relationship she had with her first love, but the friendship with Larry.

And it hurt Mia. Hearing Bambi try not to cry and then just break out into tears, knowing that she would never get that back. Mia wondered if Bambi cried like that for her.

What a selfish thought. Mia frowns, laying her head next to Bambi's and letting out a breath.

"Mia, what did I do?" Bambi asks, her voice cracking. "Where did I go wrong?"

"Bi, you did nothing-"

"Was it having feelings for Laurent? Was that what led me to this? A pair of swollen hands, no Laurent, no Larry? Why? Why did I do this-"

"You didn't know it would go down like this. No one did."

"I should've just left Leah alone-"

"And make it easier for her to brainwash Larry? No fucking way."

"But maybe then... Maybe then he'd still be there for me."

"No. You know what Leah wanted to do." The two girl sit in silence except for Bambi's sniffs.

"You haven't seen them together at school?"

"No. Not once. She avoids him."

"Is he with Lau?"

"Yeah. They seemed to reconcile."

"That's good." Bambi mutters, wiping her face with her hands. "At least they're okay."

"Will you be coming back tomorrow?" Mia asks, and Bambi closes her eyes.

"Yeah. I think so." Bambi mutters, sniffing. "I just... need to get myself together."

-

Bambi pushes her sunglasses up, keeping the blank look on her face. She hated crying. She hated having red and puffy eyes. She looks around, ignoring the smiling and congratulatory faces.

"Congrats on winning Prom Queen, Bambi." Someone says, making her plaster a fake smile on her face.

"Thank you." She says, nodding her head. She wasn't in the mood.

"No problem." They say, keeping their eyes on her as she walks by.

"Bi." Mia calls out, stopping Bambi. Mia catches up, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "You cool?"

"Of course." Bambi says, keeping her face forward. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Bi-"

"What class do you have right now?" Bambi asks, continuing on her way forward. Mia follows.

"Please, don't try to... pretend this shit didn't happen too. Please... you have to face this-"

"There's nothing to face. He chose what he wanted." Bambi shrugs. "What am I supposed to do? Fight for him and his love? If he doesn't want me, then fucking fine! I'm fucking okay with that!" She say, her voice getting louder before she takes a breath. Bambi closes her eyes, inhaling. "I'm fine with it. There isn't anything I can do, Mia." She mutters, Mia cringing at the cracking in her voice. Hearing this killed Mia. She hated to see her darling Bambi hurt like this. "I tried and it didn't work, so I have to accept that."